Walker Mower- Bucking when trying to turn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rsails, May 11, 2008.

1. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Have have a 16 hp Walker Mower that is probably 10 plus years old. I got the engine running strong again but I am having an issue with the Hydros I think.

When I am moving forward and want to turn the mower starts bucking. If i slow down and then turn it is not so bad.

Any thoughts about how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty good with engines but not too familiar with Hydros.

Both oil reserves are at the right level.

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

When you push the ground control speed lever on the left hand side foward, are both sticks going foward???
    Lube the heck out of your linkage and grease all 4 of the fittinga under the seat where the controls are at. Sounds like one of the sticks is not returning to neutral.

Have you checked the fluid level on your transaxles?? It's the allen plug between your hydro's and the frame. Take 80w90 gear oil.

3. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks, I will give that a try. I think you are on to something with the hyderos not being in neutral. When i come to a stop the right wheel tends to creep forward.

I am going to change all the fluids. The hydraulic fluids are as black as can be.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 1996 Walker 20 HP GHS unit. Last year I had both hydros replaced. Now I have the same " bucking " issue. Dealer said there is no more slip in the belts and thats what is causing the problem. Its irritating to say the least. The reverse seems a lot faster now than the oregional hydros did.

5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

First, you need clean fluid filled to the proper level.
    Next, grease the twenty something grease zerks on the linkages, and lubricate the return springs.
    Then, ensure the hydros' belts are properly tensioned, not slipping in worn-out pulleys, and not hardened from heat.
    Finally, perform a "neutral" adjustment after properly inflating the tires.

After this, there should be no serious "driveability" issues with any Walker, short of having no motion due to a completely failed pump or drive gearbox. These units perform well even with badly worn pumps.

I have repaired many Walkers that were diagnosed with "bad pumps" by performing the above. However, "bucking" can occur if there are issues inside the wheel gearboxes.

6. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks. I have new belts on order and just changed the hydrulic fluids

I will let you know

7. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

I am having the same driveability issue on a 2003 Walker. The difference is that I see some oil leakage from the lower seal for the control lever where the forward/reverse linkage attaches to the hydro. The fluid looks clean and the linkages are greased. The hydros have approximately 3k hours with zero problems. Could the lower seal leaking cause this bucking/driveability issue? Is it difficult to replace the lower seal or does the entire unit require a rebuild?In advance, thank you guys for any input.

Eric

8. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Ours started doing that 2 years ago, and we simply had it serviced along with some electrical repairs. It hasn't let up one bit in all this time.

9. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

I had a leak from the tee gear box and replaced with 20w synthetic oil. is this correct?