Walker Mower charging system

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandl, Apr 27, 2010.

1. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

Anybody have a diagram of the Walker mowers charging system? 1995 with a 20hp Kohler....

2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

If you go to the walker website at www.walkermowers.com, there is a link for the operating and parts manuals which have the wiring diagrams.

Eric

3. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

my 99 diesel is giving my trouble had the alternator rebuilt and put a new battery in, machine still wont hold a charge. is there another voltage regulator on the machine? besides the one in the alternator?

4. ericg

There is a ten amp circuit breaker that is in the charging system. The red wire for the alternator comes from the battery and the yellow wire is tapped into the wire for the fuel pump circuit. Did you take a voltage check at the battery itself or are you going by the voltmeter on the instrument panel?

Eric

5. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

Checked battery and its getting 12.5volts. The alternator is putting out 12.5 also. Gauge on the dash is showing like 13. It will run perfect for a day or two then will have a dead battery
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

Try this post i started... maybe something there will help. my cable to the starter was the problem after all that. frayed at the connection to the battery but i couldn't see it because of the black rubber coating over the cable...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=313383

7. blue_vett

blue_vett LawnSite Member

i am working on a walker 21hp, i am pretty new to these mowers, do walkers have an alternator or genarator? where the heck is it located? or does it generate power to charge the battery/run some other way?

8. ericg

BlueVet, the Kohlers have an alternator that is behind the flywheel. The magnets attached to the flywheel rotate around the stator and induce ac voltage that is converted to dc voltage via the regulator.

Eric

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  9. ericg

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If the alternator is putting out 12.5 at full throttle then it is not putting out. You should get 13.8 to 14.5 or there bouts from the alternator. Is your alternator a one wire or two wire? One a two wire set up there is the big red wire going to the battery. There will be a smaller wire going to the key switch. The alternator has to get battery voltage on the second smaller wire to switch on to put out. DO NOT wire the second smaller wire straight to the battery or it will drain the battery when the engine is off. The Walker IPL for 1998 S/N 29676 - S/N 60191 shows a two wire set up. So does 2003 S/N 60192 - S/N 72867. Both show the second smaller wire to be yellow in color