Walker mower cutting like crap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nickslawnltd, Jul 31, 2012.

1. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

I have a walker 20hp MTGHS it's just doesn't seem to be cutting right, checked rpms they are good, blades are good, deck and ports are cleaned, both gear boxes are new, blades are on right, tire pressure is good, using the walker pins and shims for the deck, all holes are the same, blower fan doesn't looked too chewed up, screen is clean. Replaced PTO belt and pretty sure i have the tension right, it just seems to be laying a lot of grass down instead of cutting it I've searched the forum and can't seem to find anything I haven't checked so I'm looking for some other suggestions if anyone has them. I haven't had this issue with any of my other walkers and I'm at a loss now

2. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

what deck? are you sure the blades are right? the 52in deck the blades go on opposite the 48

3. nickslawnltd

It's a 48 one vertical one horizontal

4. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having a time with walker rite now to I have a new mt23 ghs and its been in shop bout 10 times for various resons but now to top it of cut quality sucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

check the blades again. There is a right handed blade and a left handed blade. One turns clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Make sure your blade cutting edges will turn towards the middle of the deck.

6. nickslawnltd

Yeah I double checked just now there on right.
    Could it be the tension on the pto belt?

7. agent walker

not as long as blades are turning full speed. Should be able to listen and tell by the sound if you've run one enough

8. agent walker

the belt that runs the blower isn't broke is it?

9. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting same prob I'm running 3750rpm new blower and belt and it still leaves hangers and has very little lift when cutting.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. nickslawnltd

Yeah it sounds fine I've run then for a bit that's why it's bugging me that I'm stumped. The for the blower is good plus it's still sucking clippings and leaves just not the cut the machine and other walkers have previously had
    Posted via Mobile Device