Walker Mower Deck Slow

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bthornhill, May 1, 2013.

1. bthornhill

bthornhill LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have a Walker MTGHS with a 52" deck. It seems like the blades are not rotating fast enough. It has a brand new engine...less than 10 hours so I don't think it's the motor. It just bogs down really easy...have to cut real slow. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can check? Deck gear box, pto box, belt adjustment...etc. Anyone else have this problem or can provide helpful information, I would really appreciate it. It seems that the 52" ghs deck is fairly uncommon, maybe it's just the size of the deck? Thanks!

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Check your engine rpms.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bthornhill

from Alabama

I thought about that, but do not have tools to check rpms...unless there is a "cowboy" way to check?

4. Kevin R

Kevin R LawnSite Member
    from Canada

There is roll pin in the drive shaft to the deck, I believe it's right at the U joint.(been awhile since I've had a walker) Its made to shere off if you hit something. But I have had them just break over time from were as well. If It's broke, and I bet it is, your blade speed will drasticly reduced.

KR

5. bthornhill

from Alabama

I checked shear pin and it was fine. It was the blade clutch spring adjustment (drive belt was not tight enough). When engaged, bolt head was flush with arm pivot. I adjusted to 1/4 inch and it was a little better. Adjusted to 3/8 and it's running like a new one! Thanks for the help/suggestions!