walker mower decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 clowns mowing, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

thinking of getting 62" deck for my new 20hp walker. want to know if this walker will handle the 62" or should i buy the 52". the 52" does have the mulching attachment available and wonder if the 20hp will handle the 52" with the mulching deck" :confused:

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't own a 20HP but it is a good motor from the input I have seen here. I do own the 52 and know that it is a beast. The doubles and mulch kit are awesome for me but I have a 26EFI that spins it nicely. I think you may be able to run either deck but if you have a chance, get in touch with your regional rep and get both to demo on your properties. I personally would stay with the 52 but that is from my own experience on my lawns.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I Demoed a 52" deck, with a mulch kit, on my 20hp Walker. I felt the 52" was about all that the 20Hp engine would handle. It was struggling a little, to mulch really heavy St. Augustine grass. I thought the 52" deck, with the mulch kit did leave a nice looking cut.
    After that demo, I am positive the bigger deck would be more than the 20hp engine can handle, in all but the lightest of cutting conditions

4. sslawn

sslawn LawnSite Member

I've used both decks on a 20hp , no problem with either. I thought the 62 had a nice cut than the 52.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

62" deck works fine on my 20HP Walker....

6. 2 clowns mowing

thanks for your inputs, i bought a 52" used deck for $750:rolleyes:

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You got lucky ....I'll bet you won't have liked a 62" mulching deck with the 20 hp engine. We was considering putting a 18 hp on a 36" deck. And the Walker I have can't be raised very high for high grass.

8. 2 clowns mowing

the used deck works great!!! i lucked out on this one.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

that is a great price. Is it a tip up or an older style? Are you running the doubles on it? I have the doubles on it without the mulch plates. It is an excellent deck for all of my conditions. Congrats on the purchase, you will really like it.

10. 2 clowns mowing

older style but has spine shaft didn't think of running doubles. cut a yard yesterday worked fine on singles:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: