Walker Mower - Gas or Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kubotafan, Jun 21, 2008.

1. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a Walker mower. I presently have a diesel Kubota G1800 AWS which I have been very happy with. The diesel is very fuel efficient. How do the gas and diesel Walkers compare? How much price difference? Which is recommended?

2. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I would personaly go with a gasser, I don't know the exact numbers on fuel consumption but I have the 26EFI and it seems to do really well on fuel. The diesel also adds extra weight and to me that is not desireable on a walker. My walker does not handle well on slopes once the hopper gets full so I can just imagine the full hopper plus the weight of the diesel would be a real PITA.

3. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Diesel hands down! I have a diesel with 300 hours on it I purchased last year, they brought me a loaner(which was gas) out one day when my fuel filter went kaput and those EFI engines seem finiky, they had to bring me another loaner out because the gasser was not acting right, the next loaner was a diesel like mine with 800 hours and the thing ran as strong as mine did on day one. They also dont bog down and I have cut and bagged 8in tall grass, you will not be disappointed, mine is the 21hp kubota

4. Martin Mowing

from Kansas

While I agree that diesel's are great engines and actually my preference, I believe the added weight would still be an issue. Also my 26efi has none of the issues you mentioned. It has all the power you could need and no bogging. I used to run one of these with a 74" deck and it still had plenty of power. Have had no issues with it and it does great on fuel.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Both Walker dealers here in Memphis have not recommended the MT26EFI powerful yes; however just to many service problems: 02 sensors, electrical grounding problems, ECM failures, service light always coming on, very finicky engines, Walker is whose pushing the 26EFI. i just got in a debate at the dealership over this 26EFI vs Diesel. While the diesel is heavy it's far more dependable over the life of the Walker, and thats coming for two different Walker dealers that hate each other ie: the only thing the two dealers agree on the 26EFI electronics is junk. Go with the diesel or the MT23, I went with the MT20; because of the fear of the 26EFI problems, and the 20hp has plenty of power, and it's tried & true. their are many here who run the 26EFI, and are happy, so I am torn between what I hear from the Walker dealers who service these 26EFI's or the Owners on here; because I have yet to met a Walker 26EFI owner locally who is happy with the engine overall it's a hit or miss love affair.

6. Martin Mowing

from Kansas

Yeah I guess it was a hit for me, but I've only got 325 hours on it, bought my first one MT20 in 1996 and it was great but not near what this 26efi is.

7. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Have used the EFI units for many years with virtully no problems that everyone talks about. Have one dieselunit (a 1997 still used daily). The only problem with the diesel unit is tha the extra weight of the engine and radiator interfere with it's climbing ablity and it will not do slopes the EFI unit handles easily.

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I even told the dealers that I take good care of my equipment/Walkers, and those 26EFI problems would not happen to my units; the guy looked at me like I was crazy, and said no matter how good of a job you do with PM's those 26EFI's they will always have problems. If the price was lower on the diesel I would jump on it, but the value of the Walker MT 26EFI, and ease of repowering if their is a problem is why I am still reseraching the 25EFI vs Diesel Walker. You can purchase alot of Walker options or a second SD deck for the price of the Walker diesel. I'm very pleased with our 2007 MT20 it's a great running machine, and runs the 62" SD just fine. BB AOS 35hp cat diesel 72" or Walker 26efi 48"GHS & 62 SD or Walker diesel 48"GHS are my options right now

9. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

what's up sparkomatic? I think the diesel is a good choice for anyone running the 74" inch deck but that's just it, I don't run into all that many people using this deck around here. The MT20 and MT23 are just such refined machines now, especially with the removable access panels to blow out cooling fins. For a 42 inch mulcher, any size ghs, or up to 62" SD it's my personal choice of engine options. (and if you need to repower, you'll still be under the cost of diesel, or EFI)

I know a lot of you guys really diesel engines and I do too, they just seem less troublesome overall. And being that the Walker demands a lot of its engine (dirt and heat) sometimes diesel may still be a better choice, when weight is not an issue AND you have a Walker dealer who is also a Kubota dealer...:rolleyes:

Give the EFI stuff just a little bit more time and I bet we'll all be changing our tune about that too. Who knows maybe Walker will slap one of those 40hp horizontals with the oil filter up top. :laugh:

BTW I cut with the Super B with 60 mulch kit today. Walker does not YET offer mulch blades but I have some gators ordered. Still mulched good with SD blades sharpened all the way back.

10. Martin Mowing

from Kansas

I still keep coming back to the extra weight of a diesel in a walker being a problem. If you look at the thread new walker, buyers remorse, you will find it mentioned that he can "sure feel the weight of the high dump." I am not sure but think a high dump and a diesel both add about the same weight.

I don't know what it is about a walker but when you get more weight on them they don't handle as well. I find myself dumping before my hopper is entirely full just because I don't like how the weight makes the machine handle. Maybe I got a lemon with bad Hydros or something, (hope not)nobody else know what I'm talking about??