1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mower Ground Drive Belt Slipping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Mar 24, 2008.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2002 Walker MT with 20 hp Kohler. I bought it used, so I don't know all history. One of the belts on the ground drive system is slipping. Once the transmission is up to speed it goes very fast. I mention this because I had the engine rebuilt this winter and the pulley on the engine broke during removal. I bought another pulley kit. When I purchased the pulley, a second pulley came with the kit and a note saying that the pulley should be used instead of a speed-up kit pulley. Is my belt slipping because because I didn't use the slower pulley? The note in the box said that damage could occur if the speedup pulley is used, but it really goes fast. .
  2. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

If you run with the speed up pulley, you are turning the hydros faster than they are designed for which creates extra heat, which will shorten the life of the hydro.
  3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,
    there are 4x pulley combinations of pulleys for the mt walker
    early pulleys in standard ratio
    in speed up ratio

late pulleys in standard ratio
    in speed up ratio

The differences are the diameters used
    As walker has warned u DONOT MIX pulleys up [over speed hydro results ]
    The late pulleys are a larger diameter type which encourage greater belt wrap and there fore improved grip

tensioner arms have been changed several times to improve tension although a 2002 unit should have an acceptable type to use

The tensioner spring from the early model speed up kit should be used on the v belt tension arm

Hydro side
    The multi groove/poly groove belt wears out as well
    the jack shaft pulley and the hydro pulley grooves wear out also . The wear is only a small amount but that is all it takes to cause slippage

If your machine is equipped with DU type sleeve bearings on the tensioners this will help also . Earlier units had a needle roller system which wears grooves in pivot shaft and as a result operation of tension arm was notchy/ rough/sticky etc

The v belt side is capable of around 5 hp
    The poly groove /rib belt is capable of around 10 hp

The main cause of shorter life is its design

Slippage is at its most severe when the machine changes direction eg forward s then backwards . In that second in time the belt system has an input of 25 hp and the load applied by the hydros . Some thing has to give or slip when there is only a 5hp or 10 hp belt for power transmission

4. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I guess I need to remove the speedup pulley and put the one on that came with the large pulley for motor. Thanks for information
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

There are only 2 different crank pulleys early or late type
    The crank shaft/ engine pulley is the same for either the speed up jack shaft pulley or standard jack shaft pulley

The situation is there is a group of 3x pulleys for the late model setup and a group of 3x pulleys for the early setup

part numbers are cast into the pulleys

if u know the crank pulley number give this to your dealer and he will give u the part numbers for either the standard or speed up version of the jackshaft pulley