1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

walker mower hydro freewheeling

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EARTH5, Oct 9, 2010.

1. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

i have a model t walker that just started to freewheel and a slight grind as it catches itself.. is this a sign of low oil? can i rebuild the hydro or is it not avail.? the mower still operates but wanted to fix this problem... any suggestions on fixing or what the problem is would be greatly appreciated...thank you:rolleyes:

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure the release pin is ALL the way out. Sometimes when you put one in free wheel the pin sticks when you put it back in drive. Take a set of needle nose pliers and make sure the release pin is all the way out. Compare it to the other side. How much oil is in the cup? The right level of oil is about 3/8 of an inch. There is a line on the bottom of the out side of the cup to go by. Use only 15W50 moblie one oil.

3. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

there was no oil in cup, so i checked the other side and there was way too much.. like 3 inches.. i used a turkey baster and sucked it out of the high one and put it in the other side... seems to do the same thing, but does it need to work its way in?? bleeding process?? also oil is very dirty....does that matter....how do u change that oil?/ another saturday doin mower work all day....fun

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member