walker mower owners please reply

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by workaholic, Jan 2, 2004.

1. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking about buying a walker20 hp 48'' GHS . do the machines hold up very well? do they mow hilly terrain good and how about the deflector shieldsthat are installed on rear I did demo one but only got about an hours time on level yard.

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing hilly terrain...mine has a high lift catcher so the centre of gravity is not as good, so no, hopeless on steep slopes, remember the high lift effects this a lot. But for catching on "normal" lawns the catcher high lift is great!

The deflecter is great in dry conditions, the oscillator revolves and tosses the trash out very well, no rows, pretty even, great option.

I love the deflector, love the high lift catcher, love the throttle, nice mowers in general....don't like upkeep when they get older, don't like the savage throttle response to the small front drive wheels, I found these small drive whhels lack torque and grip, these mowers are not as wide as I like, therefore they don't like crossing or travelling up slopes (steep). Their build is very light construction, many chassis crack behind the seat, but for light mowing e.g estate, smallish well designed lawned areas these mowers are great, what they were built for they do well, they aren't built to compete with the industrial midmounts out there.

Look after these mowers and they will reward you, treat em rough, they have a shortened life.

mine is an '01 25hp kohler with 48''ghs deck.

When I was using it I loved it, then on steep jobs it liked to slip, so I bought a Z355 Toro mulch/bagger, haven't used the walker since, like getting off a toy onto a real mower. I mainly mulch nowadays....

Good luck, the walker is good if you take good care of it and people love to stop and watch you mow with these, dunno why...
    Must look good:)

3. Wheat King

Wheat King LawnSite Member

I love my Walkers. I have four of them, 3 with high lift catchers. As stated above they don't hold well on hills or slopes especially with the high lift catchers-pretty flat here. We catch 90% of our accounts and it is best mower I have found for its particular application. It is great for leave cleanup too. I don't know anything about the rear dis-charge flap, but I do know that if you are going to do a considerable amount of discharging rather than catching you would be better off buying a side discharging deck because of better results, the blower system won't get clogged up, and less wear on blower system. We use ours for catching only because that is exacting what these particular mowers are made for. Like anything with proper maintenance these mowers will serve you well-they have me.

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Get the 25hp are more engine, you will need it. I use to have a 25hp and I used every bit of it. Also if you have alot of gates, measure them before you get the 48" Mine was a 42" and just made it though alot gates.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

This "slope" to the water edge is with a 98 42" 20 hp Walker

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Fantasy Lawns

That looks steep there mate!

I wouldn't even try to mow that catching clippings on my 25 hp ghs Walker with high lift catcher, jobs I have tried that are as steep as that pic looks have landed me in the water...several times! The weight of the filling catcher combined with raised catcher height takes downward pressure off the drive tyres ending up with less grip and an interesting ride LOL!

Like I said, in the right conditions which this mower style was intended for, they are great, I like my Z355 Toro better though :)

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I love my Walker. There are not a lot hills here in the state of KS, but I did have an account where I had to mow around the drainage pond. The bank was nothing but sand and it did slide. I would break out the WB when I did that. The first year I used the rear shield deflector and it worked okay. Like Wheatking stated, I eventually went to a 52" SD deck and absolutely love it, other than the obvious cons of discharging grass. That particular deck runs doubles on it.

8. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody uses Walkers up here in Vermont b/c it is too hilly. Pennsylvania is a whole other story.

9. grasscutter122003

grasscutter122003 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I've owned two Walkers. One had a 16 hp kohler, and the other one has a 25. The 25 hp is the bomb!Hills here in Georgia are a little steep sometimes but the cut is great. It is slow , even with the speed up kit, but it can't cut or bag going 10 mph. But for leaves it is awsome!It also has large grass catcher installed. :)

10. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: i bought my 42" 20 hp walker in 1998 and i have 5800 hours on it and for the exception of replacing the engine thats really been it, i change the belts every season, and i also replace the oil seals in the gear boxes (spindles), i do alot of pre-maintenace to this machine because it works so hard during the years, lookin to get a new one this spring. great machine. tony