Walker Mower Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwc, Jan 25, 2005.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

To all of you that run Walker's, particularly the MC model, if you have a 48" deck, can you remove it and drive the tractor thru a 32" or 36" gate then put the deck back on? In other words, will the tractor itself without the deck fit thru a 32" or 36" gate?
    I am considering one with a 48" and thought if you can do this (which it looks like from the measurements on their website that you can) it would save a LOT of time on those huge back yards with a 36" gate.
    Also, what is involved with adjusting the deck cutting height? I see they have the height adjustment option and was wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks!

2. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

it takes about 8 minutes to take the deck off and put it on again, i personally dont like the hassel. i perfer pull the 37 or 32 toro off the trailer. and for the height adjustment it needs to be beefed up some, the handle is week.. mine is in the shop getting the knew beefed up handle.. but it does make it nice not to have to get off the mower to change heights.

3. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I had a Model T walker with a 48 inch and it would not go through tractor only. I seem to remember it being around 39 inches or 40 inches, but a model C might make it through. You can get those narrower tires for it for real cheap though. Those Walkers are the best cutting mower I have ever been on. We do not bag a lot here in DFW, so I sold mine with a 62 inch sd and 48 bagger. Good luck. Holler if you have any problems, it may have been something i ran in to.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes 8 minutes to take the deck off???? That's FOREVER! i can take my deck off the front of my Grasshopper in about 1 minute!

5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

You can pull the deck off in 30 seconds, It takes about 5 min. to put it on, less if you have help. Isnt worth doing it by your self, unless you have no choice.
    I must have got the beefed up handle with the deck kit, Its atleast a 1/4" thick and isnt going to break. I havent had any problems with the the kit and use it several times a day, and put about 75 hours on it since i installed the kit.

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What takes 2 people to put it on? That 48"deck doesn't weigh that much?

On a GH you move 2 pins, unpin deck chains, lower deck, disengage shaft and back up. Reverse it to put it back on.

7. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

It's all in lining up the drivesaft and the pins at the same time and slipping everything together. I have had 4 Model T's and they were all the same. A big hassle!

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I run Grasshoppers, and a Walker. The Grasshopper is, in my opinion, a little easier to hook or unhook, due to the way the deck attaches to the tractor. The pivoting arms have a big target to match up to, and it is easy to reach the hook-up points. The drive shaft is also easy to mate together. The Walker can be a little difficult, as it is hard to line those two attachment rods up with the tubes, at the same time you try to align the splines on the drive shaft. I can change the Walker deck out in about 10 minutes, if everything goes right. I have fought it for 15 to 20 minutes on a bad day. And, if the little linup decal ever falls off of the mating ends of the driveshafts, you are screwed. Then you just have to turn the shaft one spline at a time until it will mate up.
    Having said that, I still love my Walker. I just don't want to change decks very often on it.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had a walker, when i bought it I took a 4x8 trailer to pick it up because my 20' trailer isn't tagged and I wasn't going to pull it on the highway. got there and my trailer is 1/2 inch too narrow for the deck so he pulled the deck off and put it in the bed of my truck. I got home and 1, that deck is HEAVY, proably 200 pounds? and 2, I fought for 30 minutes to get everything lined up and even when I did the 2 attachment rods would not slide into their holes more than half way. after breaking my back and getting really pissed i finally drove it into the wall to force it together. It worked and didn't break anything. I don't know why I had so much trouble. Plus getting the springs hooked up are tricky too I found. I vowed to never take it off again but I wondered how the heck these guys that have more than one deck do it on their trailer or in the street??? For what a deck costs you can buy another used mower to side discharge or mulch with. As for taking one off to get into a back yard, i had a few lawns that I couldn't quite get through btu I never even thought about removing the deck after my problems the first time.

10. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if it was possible to do, but it sounds like I would be best off to go with a 32" mower. I have been using a 21" but some of these yards that have about 5K feet in the back, it is a LOT of walking.
    As far as discharging, it would not be so bad because I could like up all my discharging on one day and only have to change decks once a week or something.