Walker Mower People (Opinions)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, May 15, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking to add a mower for maintaining our mid-size residentials. The Quick36 works great on the smaller 5K properties. The 60" SuperZ is perfect for the half-acre plus sites. But when it comes to those in-between, I feel I can do better. A walk-behind is out.:hammerhead: A 60" deck is too wide to give me a smooth enough cut in the tall-fescue.

My Hustler dealer also carries Walkers. All I've heard about these units is what a super quality of cut they give. But I've also heard they are fairly slow compared to most ztr's. I'm considering a 44" or 52" Mini SuperZ but am open to other ideas.

Walker guys. Will I be frustrated with the speed of these machines? Face it folks, time is money. I don't have the time to piddle around on a $11,000 mower. I want an excellent cut but I gotta' go. I guess I want my cake and eat it too, huh. :)
  2. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i bought a new walker this year for the same reason your looking i found if its taller grass or thick you have to go at a crawl for it to bag and not clogg if you dont catch it leaves a trail of grass instead of dispersing it i like to go fast to i guess when it dries up and slows down the machine will be great but i love my toro ztr if i had it to do again i would probly get a 48 ztr with a bagger on it thats my opinion hope it helps
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The Walker is made for small, close in areas with beds and such. Most Z machines will through the clippings too far for small areas. If your used to speed, than you will have to adjust big time for the Walker. The new Walkers with the bigger blower makes a big differance with the collection system. I have had one sence 1996 and will always have one on my trailor. I also have a 60" Z for the larger properties.
  4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

The normal speed of a walker is at 5 mph, but can be upfitted to run at 6.5mph with a speed up kit. Yes, they do tend to clog a bit easier, but the quality of the cut, along with how well it stripes is huge, especially if your clients are looking for a nice looking yard, not just clean. The new mowers have a larger 10.5" blower motor, which should help with the clogging as does the exmark navigator, which is another unit you may want to seriously take a look at. Around here you can find new navigator's for about 10,500. One of the biggest pluses to either of these machines are maneuverability, how well they stripe, and the ability to use both sides of your mower deck. Besides, for the yard sizes you are talking about, how fast can you go before you have to stop and turn anyways? Hope that helps and good luck. =o)
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Great point. But when you're looking at a dozen residentials, saving a little time here and there adds up.

I'm strongly leaning Mini SuperZ with mulch kit or bagger.
  6. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont need to bag, I just bought last week and love it, 20hrs on it. Consider a Walker MOdel B. Mine is a 18hp w/ a 42in mulching deck, and cuts well @ top speed which is 8mph if i'm not mistaken.
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I have a love/hate relationship with my Walker. It does give a great cut but it is on the slow side. It's also a maintenance nightmare, filters and zert fitting everywhere. It a fine mower but I'm just not sure I'd buy another one, especially when you can buy 2 or 3 hydro walk behinds for the same price as a Walker.
  8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I had a cub cadet M54 tank before. Got rid of it for the walker and have never looked back, even though the Tank was a lot faster machine. I have a 48" GHS deck for the walker and I have a 62" Side discharge deck that can be swapped in and out in about 2 minutes (literally). Same thing with all the other attachments that are available. I make quite a bit of money using my aerating attachment on the front of my mower, along with my buddies bedshaper attachment, which is what I'm looking to buy next. I guess thats another reason I like it so much, its about as versatile of a machine as you can buy.
  9. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

the walker is slow as dirt and sucks on slopes, but if you have to bag, the thing will save you time. There are properties I would have to mow 3-4 times over again with my exmark. The grass could be a foot tall and the walker sucks it right up with no problems, love mine!
  10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with GeneGLs. I have a Walker48. I take it or my Scag sthm61. depends on customer and time of the year. In the fall I use the Walker w Meg-mos.95% of the time. 2 backpacks and the Walker. leave the push blower on the trailer. Also I don't have to back and blow off driveway and sidewalk. I bought a Walker Mb w 48" deck to repalce a wb. Like ridlng a go cart.