Walker mower pricing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jan 30, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Haven't found out where my local dealer is yet and I want to know if I'm wasting my time considering this mower, because I've heard some reports of them being expensive. Their website of course doesn't give MSRP's and makes you email them for dealer locations.

Anyone have a ballpark price figure for a:

Walker model C 18hp SD model (side discharge only, no GHS system), 42" sd deck, with possibly another 42" mulching deck.

or

20hp model T SD with same decks?

Comparable Lazer Z hp is about $6,000 (20 hp/44/48" deck) which is what I already am using.

I know there are faster sd mowers out there, and bagging is its forte', but I am attracted by the flip up deck for blade changes, ease of servicing, lighter weight on small properties, as well as a few other nice features. I could hang a large aluminum or steel side bagger on it for the few times I'd need that.

Any input on how the new models mulch, too?

2. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Last summer my dealer price a 20hp MT with a 52" deck for $8400. My opinion they are worth the extra money. Walkers are compact and sit low to the ground. This is good for me as I am 6'3" and it makes it easier going under trees. The decks are not quick adjust and are just a rod through a hole with a pin in it so anything hanging on the side would cause the deck to mow uneven. I agree that the web site isn't more helpful in finding a dealer without contacting them, but they are friendly and if you email, they will answer in about 3 days. I even got a reply one time from the owner, Bob Walker. They will give you the local distributor who will finally give you the local dealer. I'm not familiar with the mulching decks as that service isn't desired around my area but I'm sure the mow as good as the other decks. I own 3 walkers and won't have any other. There is a local LCO who mows with a laser Z and in my opinion, the walker has a better cut that the Z.
    Hope this helps!

3. brucec32

Thanks Mowing Freak,

That was very helpful. I hadn't considered that the weight of a side bagger hung on it might cause deck problems like that. If Walker would design a quick adjust deck this would be a no-brainer decision for me. I might just go with the GHS if that's the case.

Another member was nice enough to email the address of my local dealer. I know where that is, not too far away, so I'll drive by this weekend and check them out when it's not pouring rain outside. And the distributor rep had already left a message on my machine this morning...fast reply!

With a speedup kit they sound like just what I need. I'm really salivating over the flip up deck, since I like to keep sharp blades on the mower and hate crawling around under the mid-mounts to change blades and service them, not having a lift
    I suspect a Walker with a 42" or 48" deck will turn a little easier than a lazer(with more weight out front), which would help with turf damage. Other than all-out speed, I'm not seeing a big disadvantage to it, but I rarely can use my 8.5mph top speed with the lazer z hp because it leaves some uncut grass at that speed, especially on taller grass.

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

The speed up kit is handy for going from your truck to wherever you are going to mow. Just keep your hydro oil changed. I had a walker owner tell me the speed up kit eats hydros so I asked my dealer about it and he advised changing the hydro oil when it starts turning dark and I won't have any problems. That has turned out to be before the recommended 500hrs but 2qts of hydro oil is cheaper than a $500 to $800 hydro in the middle of mowing season. I'm not impressed either with the fast mowing speeds everybody else talks about because you do start running over grass and not cutting it. I do like the tilt up decks very much as I hit an old bed spring one time and wrapped it around the blade shaft. I had to pull the blade off to get the spring off and I did it all on my knees, not my back! I agree with the quick adjust, but I have all decks set at 2.5 inches and haven't had any problems. The 2 or 3 people who have asked for the grass to be mowed lower, I just tell them thats the lowest my deck will go. Or if you don't want to lie, tell them you have a $10000 mower on their $30 (or whatever) per time lawn and don't want to mess it up with hitting stuff. I'm not real familiar with all the other brands and how much space between the top of the blade and bottom of the deck but with walker it is very little. This is good should you hit a hidden in the grass grave stone in the cemetary which stops everything dead including the motor. All that happened was change a bent blade and go on. No other problems!

I know that after using your Walker should you decide to buy one, you will be very impressed with it. Especially the more you use it, the more you will love it. With the forward speed control, you can just sit there and let your mower go, you don't have to hold the levers forward. By the end of the day, you will feel much better, not as wore out. I also like the one handed steering but your dealer should show you all that. Good luck and hope you get one, I'm sure you will be happy with it! Any more questions, just ask and I'll be happy to answer them.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

"The speed up kit is handy for going from your truck to wherever you are going to mow. Just keep your hydro oil changed. I had a walker owner tell me the speed up kit eats hydros so I asked my dealer about it and he advised changing the hydro oil when it starts turning dark and I won't have any problems."

Change the hydro oil once a year or at the recommended hour interval if you have a speed up kit or not.

I have had a Walker since 1998 and have put many hours on with a speed up kit. I recommend getting the kit right off the bat since there is a slight learning curve when going from a unit with no kit to the speed up pulley. The sticks are more sensitive but nothing a little seat time cant cure.

Great mower, excellent money maker. Ask that rep if you can demo one to see if it is for you.

6. brucec32

Thanks to you guys for the input. this kind of advice is worth lots of money. The Exmarks and Walkers are the brands that I have seen both significant numbers using AND generally positive feedback on. I went by my closest dealer today but they are closed on weekends in the winter. I was a little concerned that they had only a single Walker (26hp) in the small showroom, but they may well have other inventory in the back for tests.

I think I can handle the sensitive steering with practice, having used a Lazer Z for over 4 years now. But the 5mph standard speed is right on the verge of what I mow most lawns at now with my Z, since I do some 10 day and 2 week between-mows accounts (weed patches, generally, that I unfortunately didn't insist on mowing more often, and would probably lose the accounts if I did) and the weekly ones are often smaller, where full out speed isn't practical either.

I would like you Walker users' best guess as to what percentage of time you are bagging, discharging, or mulching w/ this mower. I'd also be interested in knowing what types of grasses you use them on.

Thanks

One more question about the side bagging option for you, Mowerfreak. You mentioned that hanging a bagger on the side would cause the deck to become uneven when mowing. I use an exmark bag on the side of my lazer z, and realized that its deck is just hanging from chains, even less 'fixed in place", with no uneven cut whatsoever. Have you actually seen this problem on Walkers or did you just assume it would be? I realize the Exmark deck is heavier, but a with a small aluminum bagger weighing maybe 70 lbs loaded, it seems like it might not cause that affect after all. I want to mostly discharge, but do need to either mulch or bag some lawns. Apparently dedicated mulching decks are expensive. Something I'd prefer to avoid by just hanging a cheap bagger on the side of a SD deck on the rare times I need it.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 decks
    42GHS-fits thru gates
    Uses include spring cleanup and fall leaf cleans. thsi deck is on from March til mowing starts in late April.

April thru late September
    52SD, double blades. This deck is on 100% of the time for my mowing season. It is a tank and it does a tremendous job on all of my lawns. It is a flip up but I find zero problems with clogging or excessive accumulation of clippings. I spin it with a 26EFI. It has mulching capabilities but I do not use it at all.

I cut KY blue, red fescue and rye mixes.

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Just my two cents:
    For what its worth, I had a guy I know who only rides walkers watch me as I cut and mulch A lawn with my Exmark. He couldn't believe the quality of cut along with the speed. He wants one now. I will say that the walker is a nice little machine in the right application. We only do commercial. If you have the bucks and a whole wack of fussy residential customers, who only want bagging, it might be for you. If your not going to bag though, try out the lazer.

9. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

FWIW, I'll be selling my model c at the begining of the season. I love it don't get me wrong. I just sold a ton of small gated lawns all season, time for a 36" stander or w/b.

-Dave