walker mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kory landscaping, Apr 27, 2004.

1. kory landscaping

kory landscaping LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any walker users have the New Deck Height Adjuster, how do you set the height. Do you set the hitch pins on thedeck to the very top position, and then will this make the adjuster be set to correct height.

Wayne
    Kory Landscaping

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you are talking about the deck height adjuster made by Stevens Products in New Zealand, we just put one on for a landscaper the last week. You put the pins in very top holes and leave them there. The height is adjusted by the handle. You are suppose to be about to work it from the seat but I thank it works better if you get off the machine and use it. Now I am a little fat so that may have some to do with that.

3. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

I just demoed a walker and will be buying next week is this adjuster worth the cash

4. fixer67

How often are you going to be changing the height of the deck? I work at a Walker dealership and we service Walkers for landscaper for 50 miles or more. I would have to say close over 50 machines and we have only put on one. Unless you are going to being changing deck height often like several times a day, I would say 'no'.

5. kory landscaping

Thanks Fixer67, I'm having problems with the height adjuster popping out of it's holes. When we hit a bump it jumps out. I tried to bend the shaft and that seems to help aliitle.

6. fixer67

kory landscaping= I have only ever even seen the one I put on last week and have not get any feedback from the owner yet. I will keep in mind about that shaft bending if he comes back. Is the helper spring installed on it? There are two springs on the system. A big helper spring that helps with the weight of the deck and a smaller spring on the latch handle it help keep in locked where you put it. There is also a stop Allen bolt on the latch handle that I thank is ment to help it stay locked as well.

7. kory landscaping

yes, it has two springs, but it seems that the allen bolt seems to be too short. when i set it to number 10 and hit a bump it springs back to number 6. It does a number on the turf. I haven't check it, can you remove the allen bolt and replace it with a longer bolt, or is it welded?.

8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Any more feedback on the height adjustment kit? And does anyone know the cost.

9. kimberjim

kimberjim LawnSite Member

I've been running Walkers for years and just put up with the hitch pin height adjusters.....until I bought a new 48" mulch/SD deck in March '04 and had the Stevens Height Adjuster fitted.

These things are awsome!! :blob3:

I use mine alot durring the day and it gives me more cutting hieght options while on the fly. Adjustments can be made easily from the seat unless you are abit porky in the midrift.They make curb hopping a breeze and there are NO busted knuckles or bent hitch pins to contend with.

I have heard the 42' decks may be a little light in weight and they may not work as well as those fitted to larger heaver decks.

Buy the Stevens unit,you will love it.

kj

10. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Dealer gave me price of $570- Thats few hundred more than I thought it would be, But I change height many times a day and could really use it. Any one have one on a 42" deck? Would like to know if it work fine for that kind of money.