walker mower questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrissmart123, Mar 26, 2009.

1. chrissmart123

chrissmart123 LawnSite Member

hey guys i just got my first walker the other day and i have a few questions.. its a 2002 26efi engine, the hour meeter reads 1674 and it blinks and says "1674...1674....lube...lube..1974"..and so on what does this mean???? Also should the exhaust be glowing red and night? the idle is not smooth and some time has trouble getting up to full throttle. i know my questions my sound silly but i just spent some nice pocket change on it and am a little worried, please help..thanks

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

OUCH.. i would not use the machine. go directly to the dealer. sounds as if there is a computer code. the exhaust glowing is bad news..

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It needs to go to a dealer for service. The exuast should not be glowing. The computer tells you when its time service by blinking.

4. Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would get the glowing checked out by a dealer but the code on the hour meter is just reminding you to grease the grease points. It goes off every 25 hours. It starts one hour before goes on for the 25th hour interval and stays on an hour after wards. If you have the manual to the machine it will explain it more thoroughly.

5. chrissmart123

thanks a bunch guys im new to the walker scene

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My 20 hp GHS used to glow when we collected leaves in the fall at night. Switched to synthetic oil and changed air filter more often, no more glowing. Do you notice the glowing more when you are working it hard?

7. chrissmart123

no i just had it at half throttle...and when i put my hand up to the muffler i feel the exhaust comming out from 2 different spots

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you need a new muffler too. Might be pinched or plugged somewhere. Glowing muffler is a sign of the engine being hot. Does it run smooth?

9. chrissmart123

yes it runs real smooth. i took it up to my dealer and they think it was running to lean..hopefilly it won't be to much $$$

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Read the manual.

Your hour meter is supposed to flash "lube" every 25 to 50 hours (don't recall which).

Your engine WILL run hotter if you only run it at 1/2 throttle. Air cooled engines are designed to only be ran at full throttle so they cool themselves properly.

Oh, and there's not a damn thing wrong with your engine.