Walker Mower random shutdown

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BravoMow, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BravoMow

BravoMow LawnSite Member

2007 MTGHS Walker mower 23hp Kohler, 48in deck, 120 hrs. I just replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, and oil. The mower runs 100% PERFECT for... oh about 5 minutes. Sometimes 10minutes, sometimes 20 seconds. The mower will go full throttle, idle, mow... it does everything just fine... and then it randomly shuts down. When it starts to die, i immediately turn the key to the off position, and then back to run(very quickly) and the mower revs back up and keeps going. I think a wire may be arcing into the engine coil(grounding it out), and someone else told me the engine coil might be bad. if it was bad, would the engin even run? The engine has another year of warranty... but what is wrong with it??? before i pay 500 bucks to find out from a dealer, have any of you had this problem? Please help!
    Seth B

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you might have solved the problem yourself by turning the ignition off and on. If you have access to an air compressor,pull of the control panel and blow off all the dirt,clean the ignition switch with brake or carburetor cleaner, immediately dry the switch with compressed air blowgun,apply dieelectiric grease,after blowing out switch plug, see what happens on start,run. If problem persists, post us again. Wwlcome to Lawnsite

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If theengine is still under warranty and you still can't figure it out, bring it to a dealer...They will probably know what is wrong right away, and most likely won't charge you.

If they do charge you without giving you an estimate, don't pay them. In most cases, they are violating state law. And if they are not, how many on these boards would pay for a repair without knowing how much it's going to be before hand?

In other words, if they repair without an estimate and then expect you to pay, find another dealer.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It sure sounds like burnt contacts inside the ignition switch shorting out. If the unit is still under warranty and none of the wiring has any damage or no safety switches jumped a new switch and installation should be covered.

It's no violation unless the customer request one and it isn't given, The customer must request.....

5. BravoMow

BravoMow LawnSite Member

Yet another issue... I took an ignition off a friends mower and tried it on mine... the problem persisted. I am completly frustrated now. ugh.... Oh and thank you all for the answers, i will try alot of that anyway tomorrow.
    Thanks guys
    Seth B

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Also it's possible the bowl float might be sticking...
    Remote chance, but after all the electrical contacts check out I'd be for looking in that direction as well.
    Might just be a piece of dirt in there making it stick and cutting off fuel at times.

7. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

It it the relay (6941) by the battery. Walker had a bad batch and it was impossible to diagnose. No pattern to it except unexpected shut down, then it would start backup.

8. BravoMow

BravoMow LawnSite Member

how do i check this? what does it look like? it would be my luck that i got the 'bad batch'...

9. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Best thing is to just replace it since they are cheap. It is right behind the battery and it looks like a black cube 1" square. When you unplug it it will have 5 connectors sticking out of it. This is no garuntee since noone has actually scene this mower to diagnos. I have fixed 2 machines like this with the same symptoms.

10. BravoMow

BravoMow LawnSite Member

I will try this today. How much are those? if this fixes my problem... you will be my hero