Walker Mower Repairs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Jan 4, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

The mower in need:
    1997 Walker MTGHS
    20 Hp Kohler

I'm finally going to get around to working on it again. I got busy & kept putting it off.

I have a few things that need to be addressed. I thought they might be beneficial for everyone to read.

1 Changing the original blower to new updated one. I have noticed that this past year, it seemed as though it was leaving more leaves on the ground than usual. Don't know if this is the cause or not though.

2 adjusting/checking the switches. Currently, the ignition switch must be bypassed to start. Still has the warning "ping" w/ the key, just no turn-over @ all. I have been jumping the solenoid to start it.

3 Blade Timing is off - gear box or other? On the last bagging of the year, One of the blades made contact w/ the other one. It sheared the pins & spun the blade right off, leaving it on the ground right behind me. I got a new nut & washers today so I'm going to see if I maybe just hit something in the leaves or if the timing is actually off. I talked to the parts guy & he thought that if it wasn't me hitting something, it is probably not the gears, but the shaft was just worn. Anyone have a part # or a good source?

Let me know what you think.

Jory

2. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

(2) Could be a problem with the starter solenoid. What do you mean by "I have been jumping the solenoid to start it."? What exactly are you doing? It is common for corrosion to inhibit current to pass through the solenoid with these starters.

3. carcrz

When looking & the starter solenoid, I am jumping across the two points (top & bottom on the front/left side of the solenoid) to create ignition. I had a friend show me this trick a long time ago & it has got me by so far w/ no problems, knock on wood.

4. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

I had a similar problem just recenly and I found that the starter relay was defective. The starter relay is located behind the instrument panel. It is about a one inch by one inch plastic assembly. My machine has three of these relays behind the instrument panel tied together by a single screw to the instrument panel. The relay that you are looking ofr has two yellow wires and one black and one red wire attched to it. To prove if the relay is defective, pull the plug from the relay. Run a jumper wire from the red top wire to the yellow bottom wire to see if the starter engages. If this works, the relay is no good. If this does not work, there is an open in the yellow wire from the instrument panel harness to the wiring harness.

5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

What do you mean by updated blower?

6. carcrz

There is a newer blower that has a hardened case & is supposed to be much better.

7. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Yes, the hardened case and impeller should last longer. However, it should not work any better simply because it is hardened.

8. carcrz

Do the new walkers have bigger blowers? I know I have heard something about changes to them & how they work a lot better.

9. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Yes, the MT and MD have a new blower design. Slightly larger, faster spinning, with replaceable vanes on the impeller so that the entire blower would not have to be replaced. I have a model C and intend to find out if it is adaptable to it. Walker says need 20 hp to run the new design blower.

10. carcrz

Good deal - I have a 20hp Kohler.