Walker Mower Reverse Is Hopping Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tglasslawncare, Mar 13, 2008.

1. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am recently new to the walker model. I purchased a used Diesel to see if I would like it. I do like the machine. However, I just had it serviced and had some adjustments made to the help it steer straight. When I got it back it starts hopping when try to back-up. It is crazy the mower just starts hopping and going crazy. I thought maybe it is me and it still could be. I tried slowing it down and it still does it. Has this ever happen to anyone or is it just an unexperienced operator? Does something need adjusted? I am used to my ZTR so I am clueless. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

When you back up you need to pull the go lever all the way back so when you let go of the steering levers it wont buck like a bronco! Good luck
    And no there is nothing wrong with your mower i think everyone has this problem when they get their first walker.
    What size deck are you running?

3. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

48" thanks for your help

4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

common to happen. It can actually get out of control and dangerous. I've had it happen a few times. Pulling the handles all the way back is good advice. Basically what happens is you move the handles back and then they go forward a bit, , then it's a back and forth vibration of sort that makes you look like an idiot to anyone watching....

I've been that idiot... haha.

5. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Are you only using one hand? If not, you should be. Depending on the year of the machine, you might be able to use heavier control springs on the hydros. This could help some as well.

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea I remember that... its the way you operate it. When I first got my Walker I had to work on that a little bit... if you think its mechanical call the dealer or have them take a peak...

7. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

this is your problem. ask your dealer for a how to mow walker video.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think there is a fix for this ....if you have the forward speed control all the way forward and then reverse it is going to hop big time. Mine settles down a little when it warms up put still does it. I have a spray tank on my and I run along fence lines spraiying and since I only can use one hand I have to run about half speed to keep it from bucking when I reverse.

9. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

This has happened to me before and pretty much anyone that I have trained on my Walkers. It's basically the operator and not the mower. I think it's due to pulling back on the sticks too fast. When this happens your butt moves forward on the seat and the rear of the mower goes up into the air. As soon as the rear of the mower goes up and you move forward so do the control sticks. When the controls go forward the rear slams back down. When the mower slams back down you fall back. When you fall back you also have a death grip on the controlls because it scares the crap out of you. The death grip combined with falling back pulls the sticks just far enough to go in reverse and buck up into the air again.:laugh:
    My solution has been to tell people if it ever happens to them, LET GO OF THE CONTROL STICKS. Letting go will immediately stop the bucking like a bronco. If the forward speed control is pushed forward the mower will go forward when you let go of the sticks but, the bucking will stop. Practice going from forward to reverse in a wide open area. I would suggest pushing your feet on the footrest with your back pressing against the seat. This will help keep the back end down when you go from forward to reverse. You don't need to do this all the time but it may help you untill you get a feel for the mower. Hope this helps because it's pretty hard to describe when typing.

10. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

Put the forward speed control lever all the way back, with your right hand on it, use your left hand to steer. You will get the hang of using your right hand on the fsc to vary your speed and the left to steer. It is not at all like any other hydro. But once you learn it the precision is unmatched.
    See you at the Walker obstacle course next time at Louisville.