Walker mower-rips the grass when turning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 22, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

I recently bought a Walker 16hp GHS, and i have used it a couple times to suck up some leaves, but when i have tested it out on my own yard, it seems to rip the grass up when i try to spin around. Any tips on how to operate a Walker better?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Do 3 point turns, or exaggerate your turns more. Depends on what type of grass it is and turf conditions also. :)

3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you keep both drive wheels moving. It is the stationary wheel the does the damage. One lever forward and the other lever in reverse and don't try to turn too fast.

4. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

heres my secret. i come to a stop and then start moving backward with both wheels and then slowly spin. i find that when both wheels are in motion already that the spin is easier.

5. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Give it a while you will learn the best way to turn and operate a walker mower. There is learning curve with them, especially if you have not operated a ZTR mower before. It took me a while but that was a while ago and now I can mow on wet, tall, smooth grass with out tearing it. :cool2: