Walker Mower stalled

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hotrob, Nov 22, 2012.

1. hotrob

hotrob LawnSite Member

I have a 2007 Walker with Kohler Command 20. I started it up to warm it up for an oil change, it ran for about 5 minutes then died. It cranks over fine, but does not make any attempt to start. I have new plugs, fuel filter, checked that the fuel pump is working, and I have spark at both plugs.

Now the next morning, I had to crank it a little but i started and ran again for about five minutes, died and wont start again. After cranking it a few more times, I pulled the plugs and both are wet so fuel appears to be getting to the cylinder, both plugs also still have spark. I didn't check to see if plugs were fouled immediately after it died. I plan to do that if I get it started again. I have searched the web pretty extensively, but I can't find anything quite like I am experiencing. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mower has about 1350 hours on it.

Thanks in advance!!

2. hotrob

hotrob LawnSite Member

I started the engine again this morning, started fine, ran 5-6 minutes and then shut down as if you turned the key off. Checked the spark plugs and they were not fouled. Is there a sensor that would allow the engine to run until it warms up and then shut down? Oil sentry maybe? Still boggled by this so any comments will be appreciated.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

You are either losing power to the carb solenoid ...or one of the safeties might be shutting off the engine.
    Check the engine connector and fuse holders for corrosion or melted wires..

4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I know the exhaust tube faces upwards so possibly check it for clogs or water. Make sure the emergency brake is off when you engage the deck.
    I don't believe either of these are your problem, but they are things to check. Im still new to learning how to diagnose mower problems.

-Michael

5. hotrob

hotrob LawnSite Member

I found my problem, there was a relay tucked away where u don't really see it that turned out to be the culprit. Gotta love those relays!!!

Thanks for the input!

6. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Hotrob, where was the relay located that you replaced?
    Was it within the instrument panel or attached to the frame and the wiring harness?

Eric

7. hotrob

hotrob LawnSite Member

It was located underneath on the frame Between the engine and the hydros Above the gearbox. I also had two relays right by the keyswitch Underneath the body
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

i love my walkers but DAMN they got electrical issues....aaaaaaargh!!!!:confused:

9. cottoncoggin

cottoncoggin LawnSite Member

high pressre air nozzle and dielectric grease solved lots of electrical issues