walker mower starting problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandl, Feb 28, 2006.

1. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

I turn the key to start the mower and hear a click from the starter with no results. the battery is fine. sometimes if I hold the key on it will start, sometimes not. anybody have this problem, if so, what's the deal, thanks alot

2. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem. I was told that it is one of the relays. You have three. Just figure out which one.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It could be a relay or the solenoid. The thing to do is use a multimeter or test light and test for voltage on the small wire on the solenoid while the key is in the start position, If no voltage check the relays. If you do have voltage to the solenoild and still clicks replace it.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure you have a good ground and be sure the lowvoltage wire on the starter is snug. It is a slip fit...mine got loose last week and I had a start problem.

5. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

relay or fuse

6. Chris Cuttin Lawn Care

Chris Cuttin Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Reviving this old thread for some help. I have a 1999 Walker with the starter just click when I turn the key to "start".
    I Unplug a Safety switch and it doesn't click. So those are all good.
    I Unplug the replay beside the battery and it still clicks, and i pull the fuse out and it still clicks? I pull the small blue wire off the starter and it still clicks?!?!?!?! I'm confused?!?
    I had a simuliar problem with my Kubota Diesel, & and it was a low voltage to the starter problem. I don't think this is the same because once I hit Start enough on my kubota it would crank. But on this Walker it doesn't even try and start after like 20x hitting "Start"
    I'm getting frustrated! Help!!!

7. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

I would suggest a "starter assist" relay, similar to what John Deere sells. I can send you a schematic for making your own for about $5 in parts if you drop me a PM or email.

8. Chris Cuttin Lawn Care

Chris Cuttin Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Are you talking about the John Deere "Low Voltage Relay"?
    I fixed my No-Start Issue couple days ago, Fuse Blew & a safety switch.
    Thanks

9. triplejim

triplejim LawnSite Member

My first MD was wired with a starter relay. Earlier this year (with Eric's help) I rewired the machine after a connection burnt out. I have scanned the wiring diagram where I've marked in the wiring for the extra Relay F. Hope this helps.

Attached Files: