Walker mower tail wheel lock?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ATouchofGrass, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Does anyone have any experience with this? Some of my lawns i mow have some slopes that might need his. Is it a pain with engaging it from time to time? If you can just give me some imput on it that would be great!

2. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Anyone have any imput?

3. MIDDLESEX LANDSCAPE CO.

MIDDLESEX LANDSCAPE CO. LawnSite Member

dealer told me today the older models had it avalible, im not sure abut the new models , it would be nice if its still out there

4. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Yea because on the slopes the rear tail wheel you can see on the stripes moves around a bit.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have had a Walker sence 1996. I have never used one with a tail wheel lock. I find every time a drive wheel goes into a slight indentation or small hole of some kind, the mower changes corase and needs to be corrected. Also, my hydros have never been dead evan on tracting. One is always a bit faster than the other. In theroy a tail wheel lock sounds good.

6. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Thats what i was thinking. Does anyone know how much they go for?

7. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

They are nice, but they can be high maintenance. Just seems to one of those options you just don't need. Good luck on your decision. I have used it and when everything is right they are neat.

8. ATouchofGrass

from CT

As far as maintenance, what kind of things do you need to do? Do you know how much they run for?

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The rod that locks the tail wheel will wear out the part that it hits (or locks) so it need to be fixed alot.

It is automatic when turned on.

10. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Keeping the tailwheel adjusted to go straight seems to be the biggest hassle.