1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

walker mower time saver?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crzymow, Mar 5, 2006.

1. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I am looking to purchase a walker mower, do you save a lot of time as compare to using a walk behind with a bagger? thanks .

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes. we do 4 yards an hour for 2 man crew with ours. how bout your wb?

3. crzymow

from Pa

what size lawns are they? most of mine are between 6-12000, but i do have a few larger

4. Brianslawn

around that size. if they are smaller and all side by side, then 6 an hour. i got 7 of those yellow machines, so any ?'s down the road, just pm me. they are real good on hills, too.

5. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Brianslawn, hello my friend how are you doing? Quick question for you concerning the walker mowers. I am looking to purchase one in the next week or so and wanted to get your opinion on something. If buying a new one and having to choose between the proven 26hp or the newly introduced 31hp which way would you go? Also as for options I was thinking about the tine attachment and the electric dump. If I pass on the electric dump will I regret it shortly down the road? Thanks for your help and by the way "she" is yours next week, I will be out of the office.

6. Brianslawn

ive had lots of probs with 26. 18 is my favorite. 20 and 22 engines are identical, carb is only difference. as for the dump, manual is quicker and less costly to fix. i got the tines, aerator, and plow, but only use them maybe once a year. the 2 electric dumps are available after market and you can always add later. 13 is best on hills with 18 set up right a #2 choice for slopes. bigger is not always better, my friend.

7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I demoed a 26 back last fall and it pulled down somewhat when I was cutting through some bermuda which grows really dense on some of my properties. For the most part though it would be used on fescue and working around areas with beds, walkways and parked vehicles. I will look into the specs on the 18 and thanks.

8. crzymow

from Pa

do you dump your grass on the properties you mow or take with you? and if you take it with you, how do u load it in your truck..thanks

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I was running 2 Walkers until last year when I phased out my smaller residential properties. I like the 20HP Kohler, with 42" mulch, and 48" GHS decks. The engines on both machines gave me zero problems. One had about 1200hrs, and the other had 1700 hrs.
    Be sure you get the big capacity hopper, as even that one can fill up quick. I would not spend the money on the highlift dump, if that is the one you had in mind. You can not use that on anything but perfectly level ground. Get the removable plastic bins that fit inside of the hopper. Then, you can just pull them out and quickly dump them into a trash can, trailer, or truck bed.
    My first Walker allowed me to double the amount of lawns I could do in a day when I was a solo operator.

10. Brianslawn

we back on to the trailer and dump the grass on the front. we have dump boxes on 2 of the trailers (16'&20') for easy unloading then. we used to scrape the grass and leaves off with the tractor. i use the my 18 mostly on bermuda yards with no problem