Walker mower vs. Hustler Z w. Bac-Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crossboneracing, Dec 10, 2007.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thinkin about a walker or a hustler z with a bac-vac setup. Any pros or cons? Let me know what you think as I want a machine that can do both large 2 acre plus and small lawns. I already have a 52" walk behind for hills. How does the walker up-speed kit work too? Any problems with it. Also, on the bac-vac for the husler, how well does it work and hold up picking up leaves? Let me know your thoughts.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the speed up kit does make some difference but it makes the controls more sensative. 2 acres for a 42 and maybe even a 48" is quite a bit for a walker, there is always a larger deck for side discharging. i can't compare the hustler and a bac vac to a walker since i've never used one, but i love my walker for doing clean ups. i don't even blow off walkways, i just drop it to the lowest setting and suck them straight off the sidewalks and drive ways. you can get under things better with the outfront deck and there isn't as much trimming to do with a walker.

both mowers are good machines and each has their place, demo both and see which you like the best. i'm a firm believer that you can't go wrong with a yellow machine.

3. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

dont have a hustler bag vac..... but do have an exmark with bagging system .. and a walker.... the exmark bagger is a good help when it comes to bagging..and versatile as u can take the bagger off and just cut.... but if youre just wanting a bagging mower for high end jobs ,,, the walker bagging system is by far the better of the two.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have one of each brand. They both work very well for what they were designed. As far as I'm concerned, the Hustler Bac-Vac is the best dump from the seat vac on the market.

5. James Theodore

James Theodore LawnSite Member

The best bagging mower on the market, without question!

Walker Highdump.jpg

Walker Powerdump.jpg

6. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Walker is very simple to use, quick and efficient.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Can you leave the pto engaged while dumping or do you need to continually disengage/re-engage.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you bypass the safety switch you could but it'd make a mess and risk getting you hurt.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I thought. Probably not the greatest way to do leaves. We have a similar setup on a John Deere machine that requires shutting the blades off to dump. It's pretty rough on the clutch starting and stopping so much. We also run a bluebird setup that gravity dumps (similar to the bac vac) so you can just back up and open the door and the leaves fall out without needing to disengage the PTO. Thats the way to do leaves on anything but a postage stamp property.

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you considered any other vac/bagging mowers, like the Grasshopper with a PowerVac? You can get the speed of a zero turn with the trim capability of a front mount.