walker mower with kohler runs then shuts right off?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandl, Sep 29, 2006.

1. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

I have a Walker Mower with a Kohler CH20hp. I will start it up with no problem, but then, it will shut off every time after about 2-3 seconds. I seemed to have checked evertything, switches, wires, carb. ignition, oil, etc. Maybe it's something simple that I am overlooking in frustration. Thanks anyone for the help.:confused:

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you could be loosing voltage to the fuel solenoid under the carb. connect a wire from the positive post to the solenoid and see if it works. post back with your findings and we'll go from there. Also could be a kill wire issue but try the solenoid first.

3. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

I connected the wire like you said and the mower does stay running. what does this mean ? thanks for the help and let me know please

4. khouse

check all connections trying to follow that wire back through the loom. I would look at all the fuses and connection at the ignition switch itself. when you find any connectors on that wire unplug and plug them back up also. if you have a volt meter you can trace battery voltage backwards from the solenoid wire at the carb. there should be battery voltage on that wire. if you need to mow with it you can leave your test bypass wire on it but be sure to remove it when your done.

5. lawnandl

lawnandl LawnSite Member

thanks alot , problem solved, the wire was at the ignition switch. man you are good:)

6. khouse

thanks, what is your address so I know where to send the bill? !! Just kidding. Good luck.