walker mower wont turn over

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by plc2005, Mar 26, 2008.

1. plc2005

plc2005 LawnSite Member

I have a 96 20hp walker mower with a new battery. When I go to turn it over nothing happens. None of the warning lights come on or anything. If I touch a screwdriver to the power wire on the starter and ground it, it starts up.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like the starter silenoid is sticking try tapping it on the side will a screw driver or anything else you can fit in there then try turning it over. The way the silenoid are postioned so close to the engine on my 1999 16hp tends to get hot and stick.
  3. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

its the selonoid i just had the same prob with my 718 grasshopper with a 20HP briggs

16 dollar part just go and replace it and maybe keep a spare but def remember how to jump, the best thing i learned from the whole thing
  4. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a saftey switch to me. What exactly are you touching on the starter? If you touch the spade terminal that the blue wire connects to the main power wire on the solenoid and it works, then the starter is just fine. I would look into the saftey switchs on the pto and the forward speed control. Don't forget to make sure your cruise control is in nuetral and your pto is off.

Don't laugh, I've seen people forget to do that!
  5. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

you can go too all the safety switches and use a volt meter to check to make sure they are all working and then go to the solenoid, but your starter isnt the prob.
  6. plc2005

plc2005 LawnSite Member

Ya I don't think it's a safety switch, because it would normally at least beep when I turn the key. I'll try and check the solenoid.
  7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

first assuming charging system is ok
    second good charged battery [if u do not know hook up a jumper]
    third place volt meter on small wire to str solenoid and turn key to start
    -if there is power there str motor at fault
    - if there is no power there electrical problem exists safety switches
    ignition switch etc

ps do a search ,there is a huge amount on this topic
  8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF it shows NO signs of power, check the fuse(s)!
  9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, there is 1 fuse which feeds the entire system
    the secondary fuse should be located on a engine mounted bracket above the str mtr [early models did not have this ].The str relay and fuse were first installed in 94--96.

10. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

there is also a main circuit breaker by the battery that could be bad. Easy to see, just a black box that has 2 bolts sticking out of it.