Walker Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer called me to come in and look at a unit he just took on trade. It's a 1985 GHS. It has 540 hours. 11HP Briggs with final chain drive. Has two decks, 36"GHS and a 36" Side Discharge. Unit has been totally gone through with a brand new engine installed. Engine has 0 Hr's. How much would you spend on this machine. Was going to get a 36" WB but I thought if I could get this for the same price as a WB I might be farther head if I buy this. GHS would come in handy for spring dethatching. Salesman told me they would be asking around $3000.00 for this unit. Do you think this price is about right or is it too much? Thanks in advance for your input. Mowman

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a walker dealer one time and was talking to the owner and a couple of his customers where there and I started talking to them and he had a 25hp 500hrs ghs with a 48&quot; ghs deck 54&quot; side discharge and a 42&quot; mulching deck he would sell me for 5000 man I kick myself everyday for not buying that. <p>Back to your post I would not pay 3000 for it I would buy the walk behind you will have some troubles with the final chain drive unit using it commercially.

3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

HMMMM tricky very tricky!!!!!Well this will no be an easy one to answer!BUT!I will give you some of my insight.Before I answer this question I have a few questions.1 since I live in Canada I don't really have an idea of U.S. prices.So I will ask you a few question to get an idea.1-how much would an avrage 36''dual hydro walk-behind new?How much would you be using this mower?or how many hrs a day?Would you use the walker for snow removal?Answer these questions and I should be able to help you out!I own a 11hp walker.And I also own a 36'' dual hydro.If anyone can help you out on this I can!Hope to hear from you soon!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would not recomend a 11 HP unit.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the 20hp minimum for our type of business. The 11hp is a homeowners type unit and you won't have success for very long sucking up thatch in the spring. <p>Always try to figure your business to grow and get the most machine that you can afford. If you are going to go with a Walker get one that will run all the toys if you need them. The mower you get should last for years. <p>Try and demo a 20hp or better as well as the 11hp chain. You decide - you are payin for it. Good Luck.

6. Who replaces a engine today with a 11hp side valve briggs?<p>They could have spent a little more and installed a 16hp Tecumseh OHV.<p>For $3k you can buy a toro hydro wb with a<br>62&quot; deck. <p>$3k for a used 36&quot; homeowners mower I don't think that would be a good investment.

7. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<p>As others have said, this is a homeowner unit. It's also overpriced, even with the new engine which is an el cheapo. 1985 was the first year for production on these and the Briggs 11 was the only engine offerred at the time. There was a 42&quot; deck option.<p>Stone: Rule #1 when replacing an engine on an item FOR MARKET: Put the same size and style back on it so the machine is not bastardized. It's value will conform with blue book parameters.<p>A goose is a goose and it will never be a duck.

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

11hp Briggs + chain drive,sounds like a regular fireball.Run a mile from this unit.<br>I thought you already bought a Walker anyway.<p>Karl<br>

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

11hp Briggs + chain drive,sounds like a regular fireball.Run a mile from this unit.<br>I thought you already bought a Walker anyway.<p>Karl<br>