1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, Nov 24, 2000.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

My dealer has a used Walker mower on consignment. They don't carry Walker so they want to get rid of it. I don't know much about them so I wondered if anybody out there good give me some info. What I have so far is : Model# MTCHS, Kohler engine, 686 hours, SN# 9314589, 48" deck. It has been sitting in their yard since last Spring. It looks to be in good condition, except for a flat tire. I have not heard it run yet. My dealer said they think they want to get around $4,000.00 for it. I think that my be a little high. Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

If it has the kohler 25 i would suggest you stay away. Some of the people here have had bad luck with them. does it have the ghs deck? what size bagger (bin). I have never used a walker, but i have heard that others like them and some hate them. I guess you have to make up your own opinion, if you want it, go for it, but if your having doubts then i would stay away.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If it's been sitting since last spring, I would be very careful. Why hasn't any one bought it? If it does check out ok offer a low dollar amount.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

What year is it? The C-Models are 16hps. We have a 1998 25HP 48" GHS and love it. Our local distributor has sold 750 of the 25hps over the last 5 years and no motor returns that alone speaks for itself. The hours are low price is negotable on the mower you listed. We have 2 Walkers including a new 2001 26EFI GHS and belive another 26EFI will be purchased in April. You will love these mowers over 3/4 of our state run them with 99% satifaction rate, you will here people saying they are slow but where we are you would be lucky REAL lucky to mow at speeds over 7mph. The spring and fall cleanups are great. Walker mowers has one of the best resale values a 1989 still retains 35% of original cost so they can hold there values real well. Find out what year and motor and if any options.
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

The Walker mower website (walkermowers.com) has a list of things to look at when buying used. Most folks that have walkers LOVE them. They are extremely versatile machines and give a cut that is second to none. They are great when it comes to leaf clean up. Mine is an 83 model C and I use it on around 25-30 weekly accounts. Even with it being that old I have no complaints. $4000.00 doesn't sound bad...in fact it sounds great if the machine is in good shape! But what the heck...offer them less to "take it off thier hands" it may turn out to be a great deal! Try it out first. It helps to use one hand when steering, it just doesn't work well to use two.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If the serial number is any indicator, it might be a 1993 model, probably a 20 hp. $4000 seems a bit high, but I have seen worse deals.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It is a 93 the first two numbers are the year it was manufactured. How many owners did it have? Is the hour meter correct? That isn't many hours for a 7 year mower even if it sat in a yard for a year. Like they said , stay away from the 25 but I doubt that is what is in there if its a 93. If it is a 20 its probably worth a look. You could always offer him 3200 and mayby come up to 3500. You will pay for it in a couple of months and still get good resale out of it. Stay away from the 16's unless you arent gonna run it too hard commercially. Good Luck.
  8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the price it doesen't sound too bad. I bought a used 1993 Walker MT-54 w/ 20HP Kolher and paid $3650.00 for it. It's not the GHS model, it has the sidedischarge deck. It had 581 Hours on it. A new one like it is $8200.00 so I feel I got a pretty good deal. I bought it off the internet from a mower broker. He always has GHS and discharge models on hand. If you would like more information feel free to
    e-mail me. Good Luck.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

taz ....93 model walker ......how many hours?.....will he let you take it a part?.....First drain a little hydro fluid out of the bottom of the hydro's check for shinny stuff.....smell the fluid it should not smell like burnt toast. check the fluid level in the pto box and check the fluid level on the gear boxes on the deck...look under the deck and look for wettnes under the trash hub holding the blade.take a hex key and check the fluid level on the gear boxes for each wheel......look at the belt running the hydro's if it is too lose than when you test drive it you might get some poor performance..pull the spark plug and look for wetness bad rings,carbon..stuck choke,porcilin missing...detonation. test drive it a good way to see how much life is left in the hydros is to put the mower up against a solid wall front casters touching...bring the engine up to speed and advance the foward speed control...both tires on concrete should break lose if their 100%....can you get parts for it up thier? in the atlanta trader you can pick up a 93,94,95 walker with hours ranging from 1000-2000 with kuboata gas from $2300-3500 but i think you should be able to get him to drop the price somewhat...oh if you do get it and it dosen't come with the paper work walker will send you them free of charge .email...cox, Dennis
    E-mail Address(es):
    oh one more thing look at the blower and the housing for wear if you can't weld or don't know someone it may cost a little bit..........good luck