Walker Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CorvetteZ06, Oct 14, 2004.

1. CorvetteZ06

CorvetteZ06 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, new member here, great site.... I have a qestion about the Kohler mower in the walkers..... in both ours we have the 20 hp gas........ is there any known problems with these motors........ I just had one that recently blew a gasket......... also..... i have read many problems the the gear box..... what are the kown problems of the walker mower and motor. thanx :help:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I can't really tell you anything about walker mowers but i can definately tell you that the 20 kohler is an excellent engine. In my opinion a Kohler engine can't be beat. If you have a 20 hp on a larger deck like a 52 or 60 then it may be a little frustrating at times because 20 hp is to small to run a deck that size but you see a lot of 20 hp's turning decks that large. Personally I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 48" deck on a 20 hp.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have put over 1100hrs on my Walker MT20hp, GHS machine. I have never had a breakdown to date. It has been very dependable and troublefree. :)

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

There were some problems with the grounding leads on the Kohler 26 EFI in the Walker mowers but that has been taken care of. Kohler engines are very good engines. I have seen Walkers with 2000 plus hours on them and still going. I work on Walkers so I know a bit about them and if I was in the market for a ZTR mower a Walker would be it.

5. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

my roster:
    20hp 48"GHS.....3000 hrs. no problems
    25hp 48"GHS.....2500 hrs. bad head gasket.....warranty recall...o/w no problems
    25hp 48"SD........500 hrs. bad head gasket......warranty recall...o/w no problems
    26hpEFI 48"GHS....150 hrs......I'll let you know if it was worth the extra $$$$$

6. The Doctor

The Doctor LawnSite Member
    from Troy,AL

Which Walker do you have? Side discharge or GHS, what size deck, peerless gearboxes or von ruden?