Walker mowers and aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pclawncare, Jan 30, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Who has a walker mounted aerator? How has it performed? Is it worth the 3 Grand?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. pclawncare

Ya it looks neat, and it looks like it would work good.

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Why not just get the JRCO its 1/3rd of the cost. Or are they two totally different things?

5. pclawncare

I dont know if i like the looks of the JRCO and yes they are totaly different. Walkers is a core aerator which pulls entire plugs out of the ground and the tines are physicly driven via cam shaft into the ground JRCO to me looks like they would just dig in the ground a little, but not go deep like their web site says. I just see how that design could really dig in that deep especialy in hard clay like soil here in oklahoma. Anyone that has experience with JRCO Hook areator give us some input

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Over the years jrco has made allot of improvements to there aerator. it does work"like i seen" better now then when they came out with it.

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

well, like pc said, the plugr/perfaerator actually pulls cores instead of just piercing the ground. i'm not sure how many sq.ft./hr the JRCO is rated for, but the walker and perfaerator is rated at 60,000 sq.ft./hr, so that probably translates to real world 45000/hr. also the walker version works at 41 1/2 inches per pass plus you are riding it.

i guess it all comes down to preference and budget, but if i had it to do, i'd take the walker and perfaerator, plus this is an implement that doesn't require walker's implement hitch, just pull the deck pins and pto quick connect, deck off, aerator on and you are in business.

8. pclawncare

Ya i like the implement hitch built in part also. Looks like walker is doing more of that because i saw one of their new snow blowers that they have built the hitch into now. I already have the walker. 3 thousand for a good aerator is not alot really when you look at the plugr they are 3 grand for 30" walk behind.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The jrco pulls plugs. it does it like a spoon .

10. pclawncare

Have you ever used one? Do They go as deep as they say?