Walker Mowers - Are they worth the money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new Snapper this year, but I am already planning my first all commercial mower. My business has really started taking off and I have learned a lot from this site that is helping me increase my profits.

My oldest son told me that he would like to quite his after school job and help with the business. He says that he has even thought about taking our (my) company full time and making a real living at it. Did I mention I have three more son coming up after him and a couple of daughters if I need the help.

Anyway getting back to the task at hand ... I have been looking at the Walker mowers and like what I have seen. At present I have all residential yard on the small to medium size, most are older homes with small back gates. The Walker I looked at yesterday was a Walker MS with a 13 hp Kawasaki engine and a 36 inch grass handling deck. I have not been to the dealer ... just checked this on out that was on another company's truck.

Has anyone used this mower or is there a better choice?

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

IF you wantin somthin small get the Scag Z-CAT. It has a 36 inch deck with a 19 horse KAWASAKI. :)

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, you'll find people on here who hate Walkers, others who love them. Some places you never see them, but out here they're more common than any other commercial riding mower. For the guys who are just going to mow wide open acres of grass, and not collect it, then the Walker wouldn't be the way to go, but in residential areas with small to medium size properties, irregular shaped areas, then the Walker is great.

I have the 26 hp EFI model with the 48" deck. Its surely the right mower for what I'm doing.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do better for the money.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Measure your gates if a 48 deck will fit you will be better off...if your gates need 36 get it . dont forget you can change deck size later if needed. I would get no less than a 20 hp and would recommend the 26 efi. This is a great mower for the right contracts and I think the best for the money...they are not cheap. Some real advantage for me is the tine rake that takes about 5 seconds to put on does clean up really well. The Perfarator (cant spell) that is an areator that replaces the deck when needed and increases areation speed by 4-5x faster. and for me I do have a couple yards that need a wide open large deck so I have a 62 I can put on...this is no way as fast as a hustler or a DC, but for 1 or 2 yards it works great. If you dont bag grass this is not the best machineif you do it an awsome machine

6. Sharp Services

I checked out the Z-Cat on the web. I collect the grass at a lot of my properties for curbside removal. I am not sure if I like the side grass catcher - it looks like it might get in the way/ Have you ever used it?

7. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

It depends on the properties size and quality as well as your priorities. If the property is small to medium and you want a nice cut, walkers are the right piece of equipment. But if you want speed and productivity you might be better off with an exmark or hustler. From what I've seen, the Hustler Z on up seems like a great machine. I know a lot of people who have them and they are fast and have a nice cut. Also, walkers are bagging mowers and the money you are spending is for that capability. Think about if it's worth it when the high end commercial mowers make clippings invisible and you save time and effort.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a '04 26hp EFI Kohler with a 48" GHS deck and I love it.

9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I have been phasing out my walker this year. A 36" exmark viking has increased my profits and decreased my work load... except for all the walking. My walker is now used for cleanups, spraying and a backup mower.

10. Sharp Services

I went and looked at the Exmark web site and it does look like an excellent mower, but I need something that will bag/pick up the grass. Most of my customers want there yards bagged and the city will pick up the clippings for free. So I don't think the Viking would do the job for me ... if I had more commercial accounts then yes ... but I do mostly small to medium residental yards.