1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mowers dragging trailer gate

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ajordan193, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Just bought a walker and it catches the trailer gate/hinges pretty good that its ripping the paint off of the mower. Does anyone have a solution to this?
  2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

are you raising the deck all the way up when loading it on the trailer? or the trailer gate angle is too steap.
  3. ajordan193

from WNY

The only way to raise the deck is to pull the pins each time you load and unload...thats a pain
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Before loading or unloading, put a wood block under your trailer jack. Then crank the jack down to lift the nose of your trailer up. This will cause the rear to go down and lower the ramp angle. It does not take much to make a big decrease in angle. You do not have to unhook, as the rear of your truck will raise up with the trailer, but that will not hurt anything. I have used this little trick for many years.
  5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

whinner? Yep, I would raise the pins to a height that does not catch, what are you scalping all your yards my pins are always on the 3rd hole. If i do need to lower the Walker deck pins I will use my Firestone airbags to adjust the trailer gate as necessary.:cool2:
  6. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey welcome to the world of the heigh adjuster most people wonder why i say them things are worth their weight in gold i hate pulling them pins not to mention the deck is pretty heavy. Also try backing up the trailer gate and dont go straight on try say if you want to load to the left side of the trailer start far to the right and make an angle across the gate so that when you get up on the trailer you end up on the left side. It takes some practice
  7. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Backing on helps a bunch, I had an older walker was not the clamshell design and had a lower ground clearance than my new one, it caught where the gate meets the trailer so i built a small wood ramp about a 1.5' long, 4' wide and the base of it that fit under the gate was about 6" tall. Sounds kind of tacky but it actually worked well and was not a big problem to use.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Raise the deck? it's a walker, not a midmount. The deck rubbing isn't going to hurt anything at all. What's not so good is the when the tractor itself gets high centered on the gate hinge point. Yes, backing it on the trailer, then driving off at a bit of an angle will help some. But if you gate is short, trailer is tall, or if your tounge is just too low, then you are going to have this problem.

Personally, I'm not worried about the paint on the underside of the mower, it's going to get worn off one way or another. As long as I can get the mower off and on the trailer without getting totally hung up I'm ok.

Look at your trailer, you may be able to change your hitch to make the front sit a little higher than the rear to help with the gate angle.
  9. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

You don't want your trailer with the tongue elevated all the time because you are going to rip through a set of tires on that trailer every year that way. You should ALWAYS back your walker onto the trailer (especially if you have an older version) because of the way the wind will want to catch the hopper and exhaust deflector. Plus you will get the tractor part of the mower further up on the trailer so it won't get bounced around as much either when riding down the road. Don't worry about the gate rubbing the deck as far as the paint goes, just so long as it doesn't actually get hung up on the pins for the gate. The best alternative here is to have a new 5 foot gate put onto the trailer and park the 4 footer until you need it some other time. You will realize the benefit of having a longer gate especially if you ever use the millscreek style aerator attachment, or bed edging attachment versus using a 4 foot gate.
  10. ajordan193

from WNY

Thanks for all the replys. I just bought this machine brand new and hate to see paint flaking off on the trailer. I am not scalping my lawns by any means, my deck is set on the 4th hole. Just looking for suggestions on how you guys deal with this. Thanks