1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mowers Exchanging Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

Hey i was wondering about how much time it takes to exchange a deck on a walker mower. like from the 36" to the 52" and vise versa. I was thinking of buying one unit and 2 decks and switching out when i need too....like on the yards with gates ill use the 36 and the others ill use the 52 what do you think...is it practicle
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I was just at the Walker dealer and talked to him about this. He said he can do it in 3 minutes. But that 5 min is normal.
  3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That sounds cool. But what I don't like about walkers is that they are very expensive and the decks look too thin. Where's the deepness and air flow? Also they look very complicated to repair. But that's my opinion and haven't ever used one.
  4. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I can do it by myself in probably 5 minutes but it is really a 2 person job. Getting all the driveshaft, ghs tube, and support arms all lined up at the same time is really tricky for 1 man. Not to mention the decks are heavy.
  5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

its not too bad really as long as your on a smooth flat surface now on a slope or rought surface it will be difficult. I would say 5 min unless you do it alot but it can be done with one person. From the post it sounded like you might be talking about carrying both decks with you? I dont know how this would work it would be hard to get one unattaced off a trailer they are fairly heavy about 200-250 pounds i think at least my 48" is ive never tried to pick up my 36
  6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 42 mulch and a 48 ghs that I carry and switch all the time. I have height adjusters on both decks and this makes it easier. I first pull the deck off of the trailer then I drive back in the trailer and drop off the other deck. I have never timed myself but I dought it even takes 5 minutes and that includes greasing pto shaft.
  7. oghfm24

oghfm24 LawnSite Member

I have a GHS and a side discharge with 4 total decks, a 42 & 48 bagger, and a 42 & 52 SD with doubles on the latter two. 5 minutes total would be accurate, that includes unloading one from the trailer and reloading the other.
  8. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

it takes me 3 minutes. you need gloves because grease will get you if you don't.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Also I see the OP mentioned switching between the 36" and the 52" Both the GHS I assume... Here's the problem, the 36" deck will require the skinny wheels/tires in order to make the machine less than the width of the deck. If you have say the low pro wheels and tires on for the 52" then those would hang out several inches past the sides of the deck with the 36" (you wouldn't be able to get thru 36" gates this way), and mowing in general would be a PITA.

As for swapping decks. I guess I just don't know how to hold my mouth tight or something, because for me it's always a huge task that involves a ahlf broken back and a lot of swearing. Then I watched my dealer and his son do 2 seperate decks one day, one man per deck, and they just slid them on and off like butter. Not even a minute to swap them out. I was in awe, lol. I guess practice is the word of the day... The first time I had to hook up my new one took me forever to get everything lined up and pushed together. I didn't know when to hook up the deck springs and fold the seat back down, that's the trick!
  10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Take a look very simple to exchange decks.:drinkup: