1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mowers...How Good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinmoney, Jan 26, 2004.

1. mowinmoney

mowinmoney LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I met with the local Walker Dealer today. He really wants us to use 3-4 of these units this year. We would be using the bagging 26HP, 48" mowers. He swears this is the Cadillac of mowers, a that the grass collection tube will not clog....Will it clog and what are your experience with this mower. thanks in advance
  2. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

3. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I admit that I'm a Walker homer but I have 3000 hours on mine so I do speak from experience. If you are going to use it mainly for bagging it is definitley the cadilac of mowers. As far as it clogging up, it will if you are bagging tall, thick, extremely wet grass. Probably five times a year the dew is bad enough to clog it up, but I always schedule my bagging yards for first thing in the morning to take advantage of the Walkers ability to bag. If the grass is fairly dry no matter how thick it is it will never clog. That being said, I would never buy a Walker to side discharge or mulch with. It is'nt the most comfortable mower or the fastest.
    I bought the 21 hp Kabota and haven't touched it 3000 hours. I don't think Walker offers this option anymore so my next one will be a diesel. If you do buy an air cooled, make darn sure you don't let grass or leaves build up around the engine as it can cause a fire.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

It will clog. How much depends on what type grass you are cutting. In bermuda (99% of what we cut) is will clog if the turf is slightly damp. On winter rye it will clog 100% of the time, wet or dry.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes it will clog as mentioned above. Royalslover pretty much summed it up, IMO. Great cut...especially if you are bagging. I bag when I scalp warm season lawns in the spring and leaves in the fall. I use the SD deck during the normal mowing season. I think I might try and mulch this year, just to see how it does. I have the mower that you mentioned....48" 26ehi. I don't have a lot of hours on it and the only thing I had to replace so far is a fuel line inside the fuel tank. I am still on all the orginal belts and I see no sign of wear. I wish you luck.
  6. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

it will clog but not much, i cut bermuda and zoysia grass in my area, i have cut it wet after rain and dew is bad here in the summer, the clogging i get is minimal, i would buy another if i could. if you are going to buy a mower for more than just cutting in the growing season, such as scalping warm season grasses in spring and fall clean up as walker-talker mentioned then you can not beat the collection system of a walker.

LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member

We mow alot of tall fescue, and if your dealer tells you it won't clog, then he's trying to sale you a mower. Yes it will clog, not very much but there will be times that it clogs.
  8. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

I don't think that there is a "bagging" mower made that will Never clog. The only time my walker has clogged is when I was cutting while it was raining, or had just rainded and the grass was really wet. As far as cut... it is the Cadillac, very nice cut, nice stripes.... I would HIGHLY recommend one.