Walker Mowers, Optimal deck height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mack77, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey guys,

For those of you with Walker Mowers, or walker "style" mowers with the big hopper on the back, what do you set the deck height at to be? Is there a height that works much better than others for leaf cleanup?

Thanks!

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on what grass you are cutting, I live in Atlanta and the Bermuda is kept at 2" if all I want to do is pu leaves and not cut the grass I raise it to 2.5 and sometimes I like to raise the front up to 3" so the leaves go under and not get pushed to both sides of the deck, I also use it on parking lots to clean up, I keep it at 1" in back and 1.5" in front. Give it a try and play with it and see what works best. Some times if leaves are real thick I open up the back of the hopper and let them fly all cut up and than suck them up which works ok too. You can also get Gator type blades for it from Mowmore.com, but I haven't seen a huge difference in using them with the GHS, but they work a ton better than the Walker set up on my 42" mulching deck, now why Walker didn't come up with that idea is strange. Good luck
    Dave

3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut at 3". When I do leaves I raise the front to 4 in. so they just suck it up.