Walker mowers vs. other ztrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Jun 8, 2008.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so for those with a walker mower, please help enlighten me.

I am considering looking for a newer used walker, or maybe a trade for my 61" hustler. We dont do a lot of wide open mowing, only one large property, but do a good bit of condos, and now starting to pick up residential.

A large local landscape company around here runs walker and standers, and got me thinking about them. They really seem like unproductive machines compared to my super z, however the changeable decks really have me thinking.

I like that I could change a deck and hit the residentials, or put on a large deck for commercials. I need mulching decks however, and it seems the largest they come in is a 56?

Do you guys think that a 56" walker could come even close to the hustler super z 61"?

How long does it take to change a deck over?

Can you get a mulch kit for the 62" or 74" deck?

How well do the decks mulch?

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well coming from another maryland landscaper. I have a 62" deck, with the speed up kid, the walker will not be as faster as a hustler. But will leave a better cut.

I will tell ya the best combo around here is a 52" stander for hills/production and a walker with the 52" bagging deck, and then get the 2nd 52" SD deck with the mulch kit. So you can bag when you need to but then put the SD deck on and have both mowers cutting.

Even the guys from wright mfg, will flat out tell ya the walker and stander complement each other. They both pickup where the other lacks.

The mulch kits only are on the 52" deck or the 42" mulch deck.

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

ask brianslawn, he runs walkers and services them

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Walker = 5 mph (except for the SuperBee). Pssshhht.

5. Itsgottobegreen

6.5 with speed up kit, wiseguy

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

6.5 mph. Psshhhhht. :)

7. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, where in md are you located? The hustler leaves a pretty darn good cut! The problem is, i use it on one commercial, and two residentials. All walk behinds on the others. I am planning on picking up a stander zk, so i figured worse case scenario, I could sill get decent production with a zk, and the walker running with a larger deck. I would just want the larger deck ont he walker to try to compensate for its slow speed.

Wow, 6.5? I thought it was at least 8. I am going to have to test one of these guys out, where are the walker dealers in MD?

8. Itsgottobegreen

You are talking to the dealer for maryland. My dealer made me a part times sales guy for the walker because I have the newest and 2nd most loaded options walker in the state. So some how I got suckers into doing demos. Also the same dealer is a wright mfg dealer too. So you can get it all in one stop.

Btw I am also one of wrights factory prototype unit testers. You will love the ZK. When my old 52" finally dies it will probably be replaced with a 61" zk.

Send me a PM and I can get you some info.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The MB goes 8mph, the MBS goes 9mph

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Walker Mb. w 48sd. its rated 1gal/hr. only weighs

600# will do 8 mph. can zero turn without divots. very low

to the ground. Ed