Walker mowers with the hi dump questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pclawncare, Mar 9, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought an mt model walker with the hi dump by walker and have been using for about 10 hours now. Anyway i have been scapling with it and it really packs the dry grass in good the problem is when i dump sometimes its like almost stuck in the hopper. Will the grass dump out better when it is green and heavier? Kinda makes me worried that i spent over 2 grand and it doesnt really work like i wanted it to. Im just hoping that it is just the dry grass and it will work better in the regular season
  2. cshinc

cshinc LawnSite Member

If the hopper is packing tightly, that is good. You are not wasting space. Make sure that when dumping you are not trying to dump uphill. Also spray the inside of the hopper with fluid film, this will prevent the grass from sticking. I like my Hi Dump. I hear a lot of criticism from people about the cost and they don't lift hi enough. I think they are just jealous they don't have one.
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

also, while you are dumping, sort of move the machine back and forth (causing a shaking effect) to knock loose any of that packed material. kind of the way a garbage truck driver dumps a dumpster, shaking it to get any stuck trash loose.
  4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, as per usage without hilift do not pack catcher to 100% full. Set the full alarm switch so to warn u early enough .Keep catcher clean .Never leave grass sitting inside 4 long periods . Damp to wet grass is usally harder to remove heavy and sticky .

5. pclawncare

How do you set the switch to warn you earlier in advance. I will say i do like the hi lift it does make it alot easier on me being solo having to lift the grass all day.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious as to what sort of truck you are dumping it into? how high are the sides? I think the new hi dumps are great, but YES, i think they should have made them be able to dump higher. I'd have to cut my sides on my truck down to a foot high to get it to clear them, or buy a new 2 wheel drive truck with very small wheels and tires and no dump bed...
  7. pclawncare

I have a 1997 dodge 2500 and yes it is 2wd i have 1 foot sides on it and it clears them fine. I do agree higher would be nice. I just had an idea for everyone else that has posted on here. When the dump is fully extended the section that is almost horizontal to the ground has an upward pitch away from the machine there are like limiting bars on the back that stop or limit how far it goes and basicly pull it to that horzontal type position i wonder if i could loosen those and make it more horizontal to the ground which would increase the over all angle the hopper could be at to dump. I hope this makes sence but just an idea. Mike LT i have tried that and it does work but im just worried about possibly breaking something since i did pay for the machine and it did cost alot maybe i baby my machine but it just seems a little violent with alot of weight extended that high up
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's ironic... I have a 1998 Dodge 2500, but mines 4x4 with a dump bed. Oh, and the gas sucking V-10!
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

At my old job, we demoed a walker hi-lift. Our 02 F250 4x4 had a dump insert with removable sides on it. Made life easy being able to take the sides off and right back on. I loved the hi-lift though, made the job quicker than dumping into tarps and loading into the truck by hand