Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Natural Impressions, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

How does everyone really like the walker riders. I was given a walker rider with kubota water cooled gasoline engine. Thing needs work. I got it running ( starter is bad) and even had it moving ( bad steering though) so i know the hydros work. Alot of the cables are rusted. Grass blower need to be replaced. Other then that it seems to a workable. I just dont know how much it would cost. The few good things about it is it had a 36" tilt deck, a snow blower attatchment and an areator attatchment. And this was all free. The orginal owner told me if I keep it I can stop by and pick up all the remaining parts he has( blades, filters, etc.). What do you guys think? Is it worth it to restore this machine?:cool2: :p :blob3: :D :drinkup: :drinkup:

2. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i know base price new is about $10,000 or so

you can do the math to see if its worth pouring 1500 in it or so

3. Natural Impressions

:) The math is to get this machine fixed.:)

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Try j-thomas for parts i think they carry some aftermarket walker parts

any clue how old the machine is??

if it was feasable to get the thing running then i know personally i would do it but thats the farm boy in me talking, i would spend 5 hours fixing somthing before i asked someone for help

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My rule of thumb is 25% of the cost of a new one verses to fix. If you could get it in good shape for around 25% of replacement cost you would be way ahead of the ball game. Cant beat a free machine though. Walkers aint cheap!

6. Natural Impressions

I was looking at J-thomas but didnt see a few of the parts I need. I can get the starter rebuilt ( been told about $95.00) and with the steering fixed I am hoping I can use the snow blower attatchment this winter to help pay for the rest of the repairs. I'm not sure of the age of the machine. I did find manual on the Walker site. 93' is sticking in my head for some reason. I am someone who likes to work on vehicles but riding mowers are new to me. I'll try though. I think the fuel pump is bad too because the first start requires a little starter spray into the carb. with some play with the choke. But when it run it does sound nice.

7. Natural Impressions

QualityLawnCare4u....And I tired of the walk behinds. Too many acre lots.:cry: :dizzy:

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sitting is much better than walking I can assure you. I have never used a walk behing or even touched one, not popular here.