Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the deal with walkers. What engine and options are worth it What decks sixes really do work. we have places that need bagged and are high profile with tight areas also thought I would get the bigger deck for our larger areas. thoughts ideas experience price maint. cost do they really cut and bag wet grass?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We purchased a Walker Model T with the 26 efi and a 42" deck. My dealer said that the 42" bagged better than the 48". I does good in wet grass but if the grass is saturated the screen inside the hopper will need to be cleaned my often. At one job I actually cut the grass right after the irrigation system turned off and didn't have any problems. I did empty the hopper more often because the grass was heavy. We only use the Walker on high profile yards because we have 3 Scags to side discharge. For cutting bermuda and zoysia lawn you will not find a better cut. The only difference from other mowers maintenance wise is the many grease fitting. And the air filter must be cleaned very often.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

we cut blue and rye up here little fescue. We want it for the small residentials that we bag better than z more efficient than wb how does the 60 inch side discharge cut. are they really easier to turn with out hurting the turf and how do they cut on hills and uneven ground. do you use any of the other implements or options

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

walkers tear up grass a lot easier when you turn in my opinion. The wheel tends to spin quite a bit. I have never used a side discharge walker, but the 48 in with the GHS cuts very well. You should also consider the exmark navigator. it has faster ground speed and has a better cut imho.

josh

5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

20hp is the minimum I would go with. I prefer the 48" GHS deck (there is supposed to be a new 54" GHS out soon, from what I was told) with the low profile tires. The lower profile helps out when riding hills side to side IMO. They do cut wet grass well. I feel they are one of the most versatile mowers on the market.

6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i have a mt-20 with 42" ghs(narrow tires) and a 48" side discharge deck high dump for dumping in truck bed well worth the price. never thought i would use this mower much but after 2 years and 600 plus hours i can't live without it. haven't had much trouble with it this year keeps on going. 20 hp has plenty of power i just wish it would turn like a zero turn turns

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Walkers don't tear up the grass...people do. If you can't cut perfectly with a walker......you need some practice.

8. MNelson

MNelson LawnSite Member

3 words on how not to tear up when turning....three point turns. I would put mywalker and skills up against any other ztr on the market. Here is a pic of the one i use daily just so that you guys dont think I am talking outta my @$$.
    MIke

PS you will never regret getting a walker imo

100_2437.jpg

9. advanced irrigation

advanced irrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from tx

Mnelson where do you dump your bagged grass?

10. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

if you are looking for a place to dump your grass, check with local nurseries who make compost, many of them will take it. I've got a 2003 MTGHS with 26EFI and 48" deck. The 20 does the job when it comes to cutting grass, but if you plan on using attachments like an aerator or bedshaper, go for the 26HP. Also, the 26 uses much less fuel than the 25HP carb. Good luck. By the way, I think that all the grease fittings are the reason that these things last so long. I count 17 on the tractor alone that I hit regularly and thats not counting the decks