1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Diablo92, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Diablo92

Diablo92 LawnSite Member

I was hoping for some input before making a purchase. Specifically the 48' and 52' bagging units. Is there any difference in quality between the two? Also, would you recommend going with the diesel?

Any and all info will be appreciated.
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

They don’t make a 52 GHS as far as I know the diesel is a great engine you can never go wrong with diesel
    Mine are gas do to the inconvenience of transporting diesel on a can just for one machine.:drinkup:

3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Walker just introduced a 52" GHS deck this year. It is actually a completely diffrent deck then their others. Suppose to work very well although I have not tried it.

The diesel machines are suppose to be great. Not sure if it is worth the extra money over a 26EFI MT though.
  4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

If you go with the diesel, just hope you don't have any problems with it as it took me over a year for Walker to fix mine as "there was nothing wrong with it" until they found the problem. Not saying all diesels are like this, this is a just for your information. The diesels are very good machines. If you go with diesel, I think you would be happy with it.
  5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I bought mine in feb. 2007. I have the 42 and 48 decks. I had height adjusters put on both decks [love them, worth the money]. I got the dump bins, the curb jumper and the big screen for the hopper. I really wish I had gotten the 26efi, the high lift dump and most of all the comfort seat. The stock seat on these is the worst. I think the 26efi is better on reliability than the diesel. If the new 52 is suppost to be better than the old decks, this will be one heck of a good deck.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, the 52" has been in field testing for over a year and is available with a list price of $1800 or so. the diesel is a bullet proof kubota 3 cylinder but the 26efi is a good engine too. the fuel injection engine should be more cost effective to operate due to the fuel injection and the cost of a gallon of diesel (3.29/gal in my area).
  7. atlcutah

atlcutah LawnSite Member
    from SLC, UT

Hey I was just wondering how the walker mower does in the rain or how it does mowing wet grass?
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never personally had any problems in the rain, the new models with the larger blower should do even better. there is also an optional vent screen that goes in the hopper that allows for better airflow in wet conditions.
  9. atlcutah

atlcutah LawnSite Member
    from SLC, UT

how do you like the walker? I have been thinking about getting one. I love the cut from the walkers. But it just seems so long! I have been thinking about buying the 36" walker to replace the 36'' exmark that I have right now. But for some reason I think I need to just run my exmark until it dies! Its a belt drive and I hate mowing with it! But I need to decide pretty quick here what to do?
  10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Buy the Walker...