walker mowers

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Z's Lawncare, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

...please elaborate

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Have you operated a Walker before? I honestly couldn't imagine mowing a cemetery with a grasshopper. Not only that, I had to google them because I have only seen one in my area and I wasn't clear on what they looked like. I'm sure the Grasshopper has its place, but that place isn't on one of my trailers.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Grounds speed seems awfully slow and they are kinda fragil..most all bagging mowers do a very nicejob ,we like our walker,but only good for small properties
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Walker, I have a 2012 52" GHS with the 26 hp Kohler EFI. It has been like adding another man when doing clean-ups!.........except when I hit a rock yesterday:mad: Didn't shear the pin in the drive shaft like it should have, instead it broke the bolts on the blades, spun them around and got them wedged against the inside of the deck! I had to cut the tips off with a grinder. It loosened up all the bolts on the cross tubes to the gear boxes and was leaking gear oil all over the deck. I had to pull the whole assembly off, take all the bolts off and add longer ones on the bottom because it stripped out the bottoms bolts on the cross tubes, re gasket them and then put it all back together:hammerhead:
    Moral to the story......Walkers are unbelievable for doing fall clean-ups in the Northeast, you just need to make sure you don't hit any rocks :laugh:

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We have A LOT of tight properties where a 48" is the largest deck you can fit. As far as durability the last mower we replaced had over 2k hours and only needed a hydro and blower box replaced while it was in everyday service.

6. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

I think they have the best hydro pumps in the market! I have seen exmarks with 800 hours puking out hydro pumps and motors. My Walker dealer said if you leave the seal on the pump they will warranty it for 1,000 hrs. as soon as you break the seal they void the warranty.

7. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

understandable, grasshopper is made in KS, might be why they aren't as popular in the East...in fact, i think walker was invented in KS, or the owner/innovator was from KS, something along those lines...walkers are great mowers but so are grasshoppers...i did a little research on both last winter and overall felt the grasshopper was the better decision, mainly because the dealer is in town...it also seems that walkers are slower, much more expensive, and i can't see a hands down reason why it is better than a grasshopper

8. Five Points

Five Points LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

9. Five Points

Five Points LawnSite Member

oops. for above.

Id be lost without my walker for fall leaf clean ups. We do quite a few and some all day ones. between the walker and br 550 the rakes stay on the trailer.

10. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

we love our walkers

06 landsacaping & gie 028.jpg

06 landsacaping & gie 014.jpg