walker mowers

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Z's Lawncare, Mar 5, 2012.

1. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I currently in the process of buying out a company with a 2006 walker mtlghs 31hp 48" and I loved the demo when he let me use it for a day.
    As far as Grasshoppers, I have been told by several company owners and suppliers that they are great mowers but fall apart very quickly and don't last.

-Michael

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

from DE

Really, don't brag about stuff that you don't even own. I hope that you do own it now.

-Michael

3. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, lot has changed since then, have my own truck and such. I'm still working on paying off the mower.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  4. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i guess i'm not seeing why walker is better than a grasshopper...

Groundspeed:
    Walker, 7 MPH
    Grasshopper, 10 MPH

Bagging Capacity:
    Walker, 12.4 Cu. Ft.
    Grasshopper, 15 Cu. Ft.

Fuel Capacity:
    Walker, 4.7 Gallons
    Grasshopper, 8 Gallons

attachments are about the same although walker may have a slight advantage, for me at least...i like their aerator over grasshoppers, and their bed edger, and their snow blowers, grasshopper is 48" and 60", almost too big for sidewalks, walker gives you a better selection, although on driveways a 60" would the better choice...

all in all though i can't see why a walker is "better," the numbers are significantly lower than grasshopper...

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

from DE

I don't know Grasshoppers price and I have never driven one, but I know at least 10 landscapers who've been in the business for a while that will tell you that Grasshoppers are the least durable of any commercial mower.

I can't testify to that, but looking at every Grasshopper for sale and they always look more rough than most any other mowers for their age/hours.

-Michael

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I don't see manuverability, turning radius, or overall machine dimensions. Ground speed isn't always the most important thing.

7. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Ground speed is the last important feature for me on a mower.

Doing MACH 10 on a mower is not good for the lawn, mower, operator, or for a company's image.

8. Ecotech

Ecotech LawnSite Member

Couldn't agree more.

9. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Which deck cuts best on Bermuda? 42 or 48? I would assume the 42 is less likely to scalp, but do any of you recommend one over the other?

10. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

Try this with a grasshopper let me know how u make out... Post pics

IMG_3073.JPG