1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Jul 17, 2003.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I think I am going to go with a front mount walker, which should I get the Model C, or T??? Tell me about walker, is it good stuff, and do you have to buy the decks seperate, and if so how much extra is the deck??? How much do walkers run???
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Don't know about walkers, but We met a husband and wife team that does 200 lawns with walkers and they said they are considering going with those bright red machines where Ex marks the spot!:D
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have 5 mowers....

Walker 48" Kohler 26 hp EFI
    Toro 52" Z Master 25 hp Kohler
    Toro 44" Belt drive W/B 15 hp Kohler
    Toro 36" Hydro W/B Kohler 15 hp
    Toro 21" Proline 6.5 hp Suzuki

The Walker is my favorite and get's used the most.
  4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey scott, where have you been haven't seen ya on here lately.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see a couple of large estates with Bermuda cut low that are done by Walkers and they look fantastic. Of course these are expensive homes and they are new but one has already been topdressed for the 2nd time and the surface is tabletop smooth, which has a lot to do with it I'm sure. Most Bermuda around here is rutted and uneven due to poor installation.

I do hear raves about the cut quality. I'm curious though. What makes the cut better? In my experience the quality of cut on Bermuda cut low is related to deck size (narrow-better). Perhaps its a short "wheelbase" betwen the front casters and drive wheels?

Also, the Walkers seem to have a relatively shallow deck design. How do they handle tall grass?

for the type lawns I do my Lazer is fine. I also have a feeling I would be whacking things when turning with that tailwheel. When Walker comes up with a deck that you can raise/lower on the fly they'll really have something. I find myself raising the deck to avoid scalping or hitting obstacles at least once per use.
  6. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Which is best exmark or walker???
  7. Green Pastures

Real busy working. Good to have a bit of a break. :cool:
  8. Green Pastures

Oh boy, here we go.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Both are top quality machines.....I have both because each is best for their own application.

You need to determine what is your application needed.

If you need to bag and especially if your lawns are small or have tight areas....Walker, hands down.

I run a SD deck in the summer.....I just love the out front deck. The Walker really shines in the spring (for me scalping) and in the fall for leaf removal. Keep searching, you will find the answers you are looking for.

10. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

for the guys that have both walker and exmark if you had to pick one which one?