1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker MT-SD Won't start... ARG!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by R.Reinhardt, Jul 6, 2005.

1. R.Reinhardt

R.Reinhardt LawnSite Member

I have a 97 Walker that I bought new back in, well, 97... It has a few hours on it and I've never had any problems with it. It's gotta Kohler 20 and the thing just quit on me while doing a yard.

It turns over but it won't start... Now, there's really nothing to this mower and it's electronics, there's a small wiring harness that goes to a relay and a fuse. From the relay, it runs onto the starter solenoid. I replaced the fuse and it's fine, but does anyone have any idea what that relay does? Before I spend this and next weeks earnings at the walker dealer for that relay, is there anyway to test it?

Just thought I'd ask..

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about Walkers but on Dixie Choppers, Cub Cadet Tanks, And MTD Pros. the relay is for the safety interlock systems. I have never really tried to bench test one because I keep one in stock all the time, If i suspect a relay problem it's much quicker to try a new one.
    If you have a NAPA auto parts store near by they should have that relay. Just take the old one with you so they can match it up, And you could save a small bundle.
  3. R.Reinhardt

I shall try that... I never thought of Napa...

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Remember, most parts that are general things, bearings, relays, wires, and such can be bought at Napa MUCH cheaper than the dealer, and for me Napa is right up the road from me anyhow, so its even better.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Napa part number AR143 will replace the Walker 6941 relay. I have a wiring diagram for a 2001 S/N 49592. I will email it if you post an address
  6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

when you say it quit on you can you explain that exactly.. Did it just die while running? Does it crank over? If so have you checked for spark? If it cranks then take the plug wire off and stick a plug on it and hold the plug on any metal - then crank it over and see if there is any spark. If there is no spark then it's probably the smart spark box or coil. If there is spark then it's probably a fuel problem like fuel shut off solenoid or fuel pump. Maybe even water in the carb bowl.
  7. R.Reinhardt

khouse, I started at a customers house turned a corner and it just stopped. Usually, I don't have to lay on the switch much to start it, but it's was acting like a wire was loose. If you turn the ignition over to the first position, the oil pressure alarm would sound. Well, ever since it stopped, it wouldn't do this until the relay was tapped a little. Then, the alarm would sound, and it would start for about half a second and stop again. This isn't the spark plug or anything fuel related. It almost has to be this relay or a loose wire.

Fixer, thanks! Would love the diagram. richard@deadlikemeonline.com
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I sent the diagram to the address you posted. It was way too big of a file to post here.
  9. R.Reinhardt

YeaY! That did it! Thank you so much for your help EVERYONE!!

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thought I remembered you providing this info....thanks a lot they couldn'
    t easily match it up at NAPA today.