Walker MTGHS 48" not cutting on edge leaving "Mohawk" look

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CJCuttingEdge, Jul 17, 2013.

1. CJCuttingEdge

CJCuttingEdge LawnSite Member
    from USA

Been having this problem all season and it's driving me nuts having to double cut everything. The blades are sharp my screen is clean and baffles are clear but it seems 75% of my lawns get a Mohawk. It looks like the grass that my rear wheels run over has not been cut until I double cut it.

Year 2011 mtghs 23hp 48"ghs 10.5"blower

2. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

are you running the factory type blades? Ive had trouble with gator blades doing that

3. CJCuttingEdge

from USA

Factory blades, factory pins, spacers factory everything! Factory small screen also

4. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

check tire pressures. my scag did that for a while until i figured out it was the tire

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

How worn are the blades? With the overlap walkers have I tend to use them until the lift is worn off.

6. mdghs

mdghs LawnSite Member

It is due the double rear wheels. In certain grasses/lawns it will leave a strip of grass between those rear wheels. You need to replace the double tires with single wide tire and problem solved.

7. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

mine was due to the belt slipping

8. CJCuttingEdge

from USA

I gave up I was about to put a brick on the seat and let it ride off a cliff:hammerhead: I took it to the dealer to let them figure it out, I also had a broken return spring for the steering but now something else is going on that he can't figure out. So now I'm mowing with his brand new snapper pro 61" mid mount with 0.0hrs. I almost forgot how much I love my walker until I sat on a mid mount for the first time in years. I have to trim about 30% more now without the walker