1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker mulcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluemoon, Jan 3, 2003.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Got an idea for a mulcher mower. It seems to be large consensus that the Walker mower does a very good job of bagging clippings. What if they (Walker) built a designated mulcher using some of the things that make their GHS system work? One of the big complaints I hear is mulchers just don't produce that finished look. Here I go , you boys can pick this one apart!!!
    1) Keep the GHS deck and blower. This is what really gives the finished look.
    2) Now instead of blowing clippings into a hopper, blow them into a (chopper/ shredder. Then the clippings would be small enough to not clump up so much. They would feather out better. The chopper idea is like a straw chopper on a combine. For those of you whom aren't familiar with combines, some are outfitted with choppers, that basically shred, chop the straw to where it is like confettit. To say another way, shred the grass like a paper shredder.
    It is hard for me to believe that it can't be built. It is even harder for me to believe that someone can't build a mulcher, that does and equal job to a bagging system.
    Well that is the basic question/ idea?!!
    Can it be done?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've seen some guys prop open the hopper and the clippings blow out the back.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The 42" mulching deck does a great job of mulching. Why would you want anything more. Just more maint. and moving parts to wear out.
  4. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I have propped open the back door and let them fly. They still aren't small enough, they clump up.
    I have a Walker, 48" GHS, and 52" mulcher/sd. Again, to the discriminating customer, it is not good enough.
    What I am saying is it should be possible to mulch and not be able to tell if it was mulched or bagged.
    Thanks for the feedback.
  5. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Mowingman, we use the 42" mulcher deck as much as possible. Even the most discriminating properties we maintain have never made a complaint about the finished look of the lawn. If you keep the deck clean, the blades sharp, then you will be really nit picking to pick up the difference in cut between the two decks. We "bag" in the spring and then for fall clean up. The 42's get used for the rest of the season. Not one person has ever noticed that we switched decks.

BTW, I have never used the 52" deck, but here on the forum it has been said that it is not a very good mulcher.

6. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Bluemoon, What you just described is the Hustler ShortCut with an UpperCut deck.... then you add the BacVac and you have a mulcher as you described blowing into the bag....

P.S. I bought a top line Walker a few years back with the seperate mulching deck expecting to mulch most of the time... It was simply the best bagger you could ask for, but I returned the machine the next day as I mowed some of my accounts 3 times with the "mulching deck" and still had clippings everywhere... Then one pass with my Toro recylcer and they all disappeared... I hope the new Walker mulching deck has been upgraded because mine was nothing more than 2 double blades that left the clippings everywhere... (and yes guys, I new what I was doing as I had mulched for several years at that point)
  7. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Thanks for the reply everyone.
    You have given me some things to think about.
    I have used the baffles on the 52" and I have tried it without. I have also used gator blades with and without baffles. Overall I haven't been impressed with my Walker's mulching abilities. I will have to find someone close whom has a 42" mulching deck and see for myself.
    Question: With the 42" does it matter if grass is wet or dry?
    How often do you mulch/ cut the grass? Is it more
    I am not familiar with Hustler machine. They make them in Hesston, Ks and that is only about 1 1/2 hrs from where I live.
    I have always heard they were tuff machines, but you don't see many of them around. In fact in Wichita and Hutchinson, I don't recall ever seeing one on a trailer. That doesn't mean they aren't good, just nobody to stop and talk to.
    Thank again.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

bluemoon, I have been thinking about the same type of idea for 2 years now. I have a Walker GHS with the 48" deck and I bought a 5 hp chipper shredder that I was going to mount on it. I have since decided to leave the Walker as it is and use my MTD Pro Z instead. I have built the bracket to mount the chipper behind the seat above the motor already. I will be using a flex hose from the discharge to the intake of the chipper. The clippings will spread out directly behind the mower. I am thinking that I will direct the clippings straight down which will also shoot them into the grass which should hid them good. To me this makes more sense than double, triple cutting or blowing clumps of grass. I just need the time to finish the project. I've been working on trailers and my new sprayer so soon I hope.

9. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Keep us posted, I think it is possible.
    Good Luck