Walker mulching deck question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tonym10, Jun 17, 2004.

1. tonym10

tonym10 LawnSite Member
    from pa

I posted this in the home owners forum, but did not get a responce. I have a Walker C , 16hp, I use for my own house, 1 acre. I have the grass colection system now, but I was thinking of getting the mulching deck for summer cuts when there is no leaves and less grass to cut then spring. Can anyone using this deck tell em if they recomend it, and if so, is there also a larger mulching deck for this size walker? And one more thing , anyone know how much the mulch deck costs?

2. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

I have a walker and if you go to their website the customer service is great. Just try Google and type in Walker GHS and that will get you there. They sent me all kind of info on how to change engines on mine.
    Ikesleeping

3. tonym10

tonym10 LawnSite Member
    from pa

Anyone else using this deck?

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I will be getting my mulching deck this week some time. I also have the 16 hp walker too so I'll let you know how it goes after I get it.

5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have the same Walker C model, I don't have a mulching deck but I use the GHS deck for the fall and a side discharge deck the rest of the time. If you want to save some money I would look at getting a "no catch deflector" from Walker. They are much cheaper than a new deck. I use one with my ghs deck when I don't want to collect the clippings or leaves.

Ray

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing as Ray suggests but found that the results were not up to par with the deflector. I got better results from unhooking the blower belt and using the ghs deck as a mulcher. Its not a good sub, but it does do a better job than just spreading it all over the lawn.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have been using a 42" mulching deck on my 20hp Walker for 6 years, and it works great. I only use my 48" GHS deck for fall leaf cleanups, and a few spring cleanups. I do think the 16hp engine will struggle to handle the 42" mulching deck, if the grass is very thick.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Mowingman, are the blades for the 42" Mulch Deck a Solid Airfoil type...High Lift? Is there a Bracket for the double blade Set-Up? Can you substitute any other types of Blades?

9. tonym10

tonym10 LawnSite Member
    from pa

BCSteel , how much $ was your mulching deck?

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Double blades come standard from the factory on the 42" mulch deck. The top blade is a flat blade, and the lower blade is hard to describe. It is curved, with sort of a hump built into trhe middle, like a lot of other mulching blades you see. I have heard there are other types of blades available, but have never checked out anything else. The factory blades work fine, and are available from several suppliers.