walker operating cost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acacialand, Jan 5, 2008.

1. acacialand

acacialand LawnSite Member

I have been using 21in Toros for the past 3 years and I have just bought my first 48 in Walker does anyone have a an hourly operating cost for this mower?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what engine does it have?

3. acacialand

acacialand LawnSite Member

23hp kohler air cooled gas

4. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I attached a PDF file of a worksheet that I use to figure out the cost per hour. It is for the new 23hp ones that I plan on purchasing this spring. They are outfitted with the High Lift dump box, suspension seat and 48" deck.

I figured high for fuel just to cover up to what it could get to this summer. I also planned on changing the oil every 50 hours and sharpen blades every day.

I hope that it helps you out some.

Attached Files:

5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello , walker have produced a cost sheet in a walker magazine for each model .

There owner ship costs ranged from 5--8 USD per hour depends on model .

In reality owner ship is around the 7--10 USD per hour . Based on 2x walkers . Both machines have been rebuilt completely over time and the cycle continues /repeats .
    The previous poster does not include many mechanical items such as complete blower replacement 500 and up cost , starter servicing every 500hrs , many pulleys will be replaced due to being worn out at least 1 time ,drive shaft replacement , deck gearbox replacement/repair , pto box replacement /repair.

5 USD per hour cost is very conservative

tomo:waving:

6. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

If you looked at the bottom of the page it shows the total cost per hour. I had it estimated at about $12-13 per hour. The $5 per hour is just to cover the cost of the machine to replace it.

7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

HELLO, POINT TAKEN now i will have to get glasses ha ha

tomo:waving:

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

pyrocare -- Actually, the cost which you have shown is too high because you have included the interest cost on the note !! The interest cost is a cost associated with financing the equipment, not with actually operating the equipment ... therefore, it looks like your true estimate of "operating cost" is less than Walker's published estimate.

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what your objective is, but if it is to compare what you were doing with 21s, then a cost per 10,000 sf of mowing area might be more appropriate (show how much more you will make per hour over your current system). If you are (and you will) get done 3 to 5 times quicker, the other costs may be of little consequence to you.

10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

oh and PS, while it is true that you leave mortgage (interest) calculations out for real estate ROI, in a durable asset calculation, you may leave it in, as you will likely not get the same or more moneys out of your walker 10 years from now on resale.