walker or cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, May 17, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

i own a walker ,but i love the idea of being able to discharge whenever i like,sometimes i run out of places to dump all the clippings, plus how can you use a walker on a comm. lot ?what would you do with all those clippings:blob3:

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Cougar for a couple of days last year when my Walkers fuel pump went out and I can say from experience that if someone would give me one, I would take it. I would then turn around and sell it. No comparison to a Walker at all.

Get a 52 deck. Once you learn the trick it takes about 5 minutes to switch out.

3. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

There are so many different side discharge decks available for the Walker that you can suit the deck for what ever property you like. I find that the versatility of the mower is it's biggest selling point. I agree the 52" is one of my favorites. As far as any of the other brands out there. No one else even comes close to offering the features and different mowing decks all available for the same machine. Stick with the Walker and you won't regret it!

4. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a "No-Catch" attachment from Walker. You open the door and the No-Catch deflector shield locks in place, it installs in about 30 seconds. A switch turns off the dicharge shute so does not move from side to side, aim it straight out the back. I have a 36 inch side dicharge deck that I use in spring and summer but in the fall I put on the GHS deck. If I get to a lawn that does not have any leaves to collect I use the No-Catch. The only drawback is that you might get a few clippings in flower bed etc. when you turn but other than that it works fairly well. I believe I paid under $100 for it. I have seen a few guy simply leave the back door open but it looks extremly dangerous. At least the No-Catch deflects everything downward.

Ray

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ray,
    I am not familiar with the switch that you mentioned. Did you install it yourself or is that a new thing that Walkers have. I have a 2000 and it does not have a switch to turn off the chute.
    Personally I find that the moving chute disperses the clippings better as it moves side to side. I have the No-Catch deflector too.

6. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

Mow Ed

The switch was installed by the dealer, it simply cuts the power to the small motor that turns the discharge chute. I am not sure if the switch is a Walker part or something the dealer had. The switch is mounted on the right side behind the parking brake. Another easy way of stopping the chute is by removing the small ground wire from the motor in the dump box.

Ray