walker or grasshopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gplank2003, Oct 16, 2006.

1. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

Iv'e narrowed my mind down to them.My question is for the ones who have hoppers and walkers what are the biggest advantages and disadvantage of both mowers? which has the best overall pick-up such as leaves,acorns,etc? I whould love to here from both of the different mower owners.:usflag:
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Never seen a Walker. Owned and been around Grasshoppers a long time. I would say on small high end accounts "Walker" on larger accounts "Grasshopper".
  3. Picky1

Picky1 LawnSite Member

The Walker gives a higher quality cut than the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper is more productive than the Walker. Pretty much what tacoma200 said. I went with the Walker back in 97. Great machine.
  4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2001 Walker 48" GHS. Its a very compact machine compared to the
    Grasshopper. I use it with Meg-mos for leaf pickup. I like the controls better
    you use one hand to steer. I use the Walker about 25% for mowing, 100%
    for leaaf pickup. The walker is more manuverable. I stopped using a push blower. My leaf plan once over with mower to reduce volume. Pick up w Walker.Ed
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have owned both, and am currently a Grasshopper dealer. I agree with tacoma200. Walker for properties up to 1 acre or so, and Grasshopper for larger properties. The Grasshoppers will pick up leaves and debris really well, and leave a beautiful looking cut. But, for that highly manicured look on smaller properties, nothing compares to a Walker.
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Both machines have thier place in mowing. The Walker is smaller and more flexiable for uneven ground. The Grasshopper is large and better for more open areas. I tried out my buddys 52" and its like driving a VW around. It feels bigger than my Hustler S/Z.
  7. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

Go with Grasshoppers.. U will love it.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You have narrowed it down in your mind and now I will ask you a question, why do you want either a Walker or a Grasshopper? I am qualified to ask because I own a Walker and will always own one but I also own other machines.
    You are the only guy that can decide which mower will help your mowing schedule. I know that a Walker makes me money in certain situations and it is the piece of equipment for the job. In other situations the Walker can do the job but may not be the exact fit. You have to find the machine the best fits your mowing business. You do that by demo. Any machine out there will cut grass but what type of properties are you working with. Large areas, small residentials, high end bag only properties, business all may have different requirements. My reasoning for my Walker has been evolving in the 8 years I have owned one. It was my first line mower for years. My business evolved and now the Walker is used for specialty situstions, particularly spring and fall clean, seasonal bagging of grass as a premium service, a spray rig that I designed for herbicide application and as a back up. Those are probably not your reasons for owning one but it is a great machine. I cannot tell you about a Grasshopper other than it seems like a good machine also but I have never operated one. I considered one years ago but had no dealers in the area and couldn't demo one.
    Whatever you do make sure you absolutely demo every one for as long as you can. A Walker isn't terribly difficult to learn but it does take a little bit of skill. That is not a negative thing, just don't get frustrated by that if you are used to running the sticks on a Z. Its like riding a bike. I wish you luck with your decision.
  9. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

like everyone else said, the Walker can't be beat for small highly landscaped properties. it will blow away a walk behind on these properties. it is awesome for spring / fall cleanups there isn't any front blow out on the deck it picks up everything. the cut is second to none. i does take some practice it has a lot of tail swing you will bump a few things until you get use to it.
  10. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

thanks for all the info. one more question which motor 20 hp or the 26 efi? maybe later i might get a aerater or 56 side discharge.but mainly just bagging leaves,high end accounts.