Walker or JRCO dethatcher.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Duncan90si, Apr 12, 2008.

?

Which dethatcher would you pick for in front of a Walker?

1. Walker costs about $250.

58.3%
  2. JRCO costs about $500.

41.7%
  3. Other, please specify.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I am interested in getting a dethatcher for the front of my Walker. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with both. There is a significant price difference between the two and I was wondering if the JRCO was that much better to justify the price thats 2x more than the Walker brand. Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They used to be the same exact thing, as walker got them from JRCO. Don't they do that anymore?

3. Duncan90si

I have no idea Runner. I've never used or even seen either brand of dethatcher.

4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i am also interesteed in some answers

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The walker dethatcher rake is nothing like the JRCO rake... Actually the walker rake is a flimsy looking deal is you ask me. and they come in ONE width, 40" I believe. There's no caster wheels on them, they mount rigid on the front of the deck between the deck hanger wheels. I also don't think they even cost $250. I heard they were less than that even. Should be, there's nothing to them but a peice of bent sheet metal and a couple dozen tines.

The Jrco rake is a lot heavier unit, though it just may do the same job as the walker unit... I don't know. You can get one that is the same width of your deck though, which may help? And you can lift it up off the ground to get from A to B if you need to. I put my JRCO rake on my MT 48" walker this winter. Never used it, but I can if I ever need to. If you buy one with the proper mounting bar your's won't have to be "rigged" like I had to do on mine, lol.

Yes, since I took these pics I added the low-pro wheels and tires and repainted the sides of the deck! Looks a LOT better now!

[​IMG]

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. I just got on walker's site and saw what you mean. This is NOT what they use to use...they used to use the JRCO some years ago.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I thought... I know when I bought my first walker you couldn't even order a JRCO model that would fit the walker, because they were selling them thru walker, painted yellow, at walker's price. Now you can buy several models that fit walkers.

I saw the actual walker version in person, and I wasn't impressed. It was about the same quality, or less, than one of those little tow behind ones you find at home depot. Though if it does the job the same as the JRCO model, who cares! Save the money on the walker one and laugh at the fools that spent $500 for one, lol.

8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

check ebay theirs one for sale now

9. Duncan90si

Yeah I noticed that the Walker one did appear to be a little less of a "machine" (or attachment) when compared to the JRCO. I think I'll spend the extra cash and go for the better built JRCO dethatcher.

I know, I've been lurking and keeping my eyes on it. ninja.gif

ninja.gif

10. JRCO

JRCO Sponsor

Just a quick point of information.

Walker has always manufactured their own dethatching unit. We have never produced dethatchers for them.

Walker is an excellent company. Extremely nice people. We have nothing but the highest regard for the Walkers.

Just wanted to clarify things.

Thanks folks,
    Bill